Eighteen

"Let me grab my bag from the back

"Let me grab my bag from the back." Cady says as she pulls her key from the car and jumps out.

I get out of her car that's now parked in my driveway. I glance at my house and I see the light in the living room. Mom's home.

"Jesus Christ, Cady, we're only going to the beach for three days. Why do you have four bags?" I ask, and Cady laughs, swinging the bags over her shoulders.

"Help me out here." She tosses a backpack at me and I catch it.

"I usually forget things, so I brought whatever I thought I needed." She says.

The backpack is heavy on my arm. "Again, we're just going to the beach. I don't think you'll need much."

"I like having wardrobe options, okay? I gotta be pretty." She explains, and I snort. Typical Cady. 

She follows behind me as we enter my house and we catch my mom in the living room. When she sees us, she quickly gains a heartwarming smile.

"Hi mom." I emit, dropping the bag on the floor.

"You girls look ready to go. Are you all set?" My mom asks, observing the bags. I chuckle.

"These aren't even mine. Cady likes to bring her whole closet to the beach." I tease, and Cady just rolls her eyes.

"We'll be in my room." I tell my mom.

We head straight for my bedroom where we set the bags on the floor beside my bed. My bag that I had packed is sitting on my desk chair. I only packed one.

Cady tosses herself on the bed and gets on her phone, lying on her stomach and using her elbows to hold herself up.

"So, I'll set up my alarm for 6 AM." She says while tapping on her phone.

I widen my eyes at her. "6 AM?! Why do we need to be up so early?"

"To get ready, duh."

"You," I say. "You can get up that early. All I gotta do is throw on sweats and a T-shirt." I take a seat on the edge of the bed.

She laughs, giving in. "Fine. I'll wake you up at 7:30." That's better.

For the rest of the night, we eat a small dinner my mom heats up for us, then we go back in my room where we watch some TV.

"You know, the homecoming dance is coming up." Cady starts. She turns in her seat to face me.

"Yeah... don't remind me." I scowl.

She looks at me weird, scooting closer beside me on the bed. "Why?" She asks. "It's a night for romance." I raise my eyebrows at her. She had said it so dramatically.

Excitedly, she smiles. "A perfect night, Kaya."

"Yeah," I say. "For you and Liam. I have nobody." I remind her.