“Come on then kiddo! Give your dad a hug before you go!”

We were stood once again in the airport, at the departures longue this time, as for one last time I soaked up his hug that was all too commonplace now. I tried not to cry as I took in the smell of his aftershave but pulling away I saw that he was red faced and tearing up, trying to cover it by clearing his throat and glancing away.

“I love you Dad.”

“I love you too Kiddo.”

“Seriously, you ever think you’ll stop calling me that?” I chuckled as he pulled me to him again with a shake of the head and I was secretly glad, relieved to know I would always be his little girl.

I turned then to Claire, “Thanks for everything – and I expect regular emails regarding the wedding plans!” I said pointing my finger sternly to her face.

Her lips trembled and she nodded, pulling me now to her for more hugs.

“Lucy,” my Dad said, “Whatever you decide to do I will be so proud of you, you know that right?”

He gave Claire a quick glance, who smiled back at him and took his hand, the diamond on her finger sparkling as it caught the light and then he turned back to me.

“I’m going to miss you both so much!” I pulled them both into a hug now and we stood their embracing till a tannoy calling my flight warned me I was cutting it fine.

“Call us when you land!” He shouted after me as I walked off down through security with a quick glance back around to wave goodbye. They stood waving back till I turned around and continued on my way.

All the seats were filled on the flight; however I did get the window seat which was a small mercy. As the attendants rattled through security and the plane ascended once again into flight, I never took my eyes from the window, allowing my final glances to try and commit every cobble, whitewashed house and fishing boat to memory; yet I was sure it was something I could never forget even if I tried.

Once the Island was out of sight, hidden by murky clouds as we flew above altitude I willed myself to sleep, yet the woman to my left kept fidgeting, making it near impossible to get comfortable. So instead, I took out my art book from my bag. It was almost full, as I had tried to capture every moment and walkway in my pages. I turned to the portrait I had done of Claire and my dad as they had - through much protestation - posed by the harbour on the night he had officially given her the ring, whilst I captured their likeness.

Now, I was idly doodling, thinking back to what Claire had said yesterday about the year out and wondered if I should broach the subject with mum.

Tomorrow. I thought. I still didn’t know if I had what I needed, so maybe my position would be not mine to consider my options anyway.

Mum, Tess and Scott were all waiting for me at the airport when I landed and I rushed into their open arms as I realised how much I had missed them.

“Look at you!” My mum screeched as she took in my appearance. My hair had become lighter, bleached by the sun, my skin had tanned slightly and instead of my usual baggy tops and leggings I was instead wearing a little light grey smock dress, synched in at the waist with a brown belt and I knew I probably seemed to her like a different person. Yet to me I just felt like me, like I could finally stop hiding behind all the black and let some light into my life.

On the car ride home we all talked over each other as I was eager to fill them in on my adventures whilst they wanted to fill me in what had happened in my absence. They skilfully avoided any mention of Ben and Daisy and I wondered if they knew more than they were letting on. I noted how my family was so much closer than we were this time last year and how much had changed for the better. Change was good.