Chapter Three

Ashley had to go shopping with her mom, so she couldn't come to the diner with us, but Hannah came with. We pull into the parking lot and step out of the car.

Hannah looks at the diner, then at me, rolling her eyes. "Elizabeth, remind me again why we have to be here?"

I laugh a little and shrug, walking towards the doors. Reluctantly but obediently, Hannah follows.

A little bell chimes as I open the door. Cute. A few booths and tables are full, but it's not too busy.

Hannah clears her throat, trying to tell me something. I look to where her head points and see that girl walking towards us. What's her name? Alice.

"Hey, Alice," I wave. Her faces blushes mad red and she giggles. I shove my hands in my hoodie pocket. This time, pastel girl is wearing pink overall shorts, a white shirt, pink thigh highs, and white sneakers. The only thing indicating that she works here is her little cap.

"You can, uh, sit wherever you..want.." Alice speaks softly, hiding her face. One corner of my mouth lifts up , to a half smile. I lead Hannah to a booth in a corner and we sit as Alice comes over with the menus. An older woman comes up behind her, placing a hand on Alice's shoulder.

"Are these the people you've been expecting, sweetie?" The last asks.

Alice's face blushes deep red. "Mom!"  She whisper-yells. Hannah rolls her eyes, but I laugh.

Alice's mom smiles. "Well, I'll give you the rest of your shift off to talk to them." Alice looks like she is going to die of embarrassment.

Smiling, I look up at her mom. "Thank you, miss-"

"Oh, please, call me Alicia. Have fun, girls!"

As Alicia walks off, the three of us stare at each other awkwardly. After a while, I decide to take action first. I move in to the wall of my side of the booth and pat a spot for Alice. Hannah starts to laugh, but coughs to cover it up when I glare at her.

"So, Aliiice, what made you want to invite me?" I ask her. She seems to be loosening up, but I can't be too sure.

Hannah scoffs and mutters "yeah" under her breath, then goes on her phone.

"W-well, i just thought, maybe, you'd like to..?" She hides her face again. I shake my head.

Placing my hand on her shoulder, I say, "it's okay." This seems to calm her at least a little bit. She smiles wide and pulls her hands from her face.

"I just thought you'd like to, uh, be here, ya know, just, I don't know, I don't know why I thought this I'm so sorry to-"

I put my arm around her shoulder and she stops. "It's okay."

Hannah scoffs and stands up. "I'm going home. Your girlfriend can take you home later. See you."

I pull my arm from around Alice and watch Hannah walk out of the diner. After a minute of her leaving, I'm still staring at the door. I finally look at Alice to see that she's just staring down at her hands on the table.

I laugh a bit. "It's okay, she'll be fine."

Alice nods and smiles, looking back up at me. "It's just..."

I look at her expectantly. Then she laughs. "I don't have a car."

While we're laughing, her mother comes up to us. She must've noticed Hannah leave because she doesnt mention it. "So, girls," she says, "shall we order?"