27

A/N - Thank you guys so much for the feedback on the last chapter! 
The comments on one certain part did make me laugh!
(What the fucking hell!?, OMG PLOT TWISTTT, wtf wait, um wait he's MARRIED noooooooNoooooo) I love it when you guys comment saying that you didn't see something coming - that means I'm doing an okay job at keeping it interesting! 

Also, for anyone who doesn't follow me, Smokescreen was ranked at #342 in the Fanfiction category this week! (It's since disappeared again but still!) I don't know how it happened and my mind is still blown by it! And while it might not seem like a massive deal, I didn't think fifty people would read this book, so it's a huge deal for me! 

Not many chapters to go now... (Maybe 2? 3 at max)

Also, IF YOU DID NOT READ THE LAST CHAPTER IN ITS ENTIRETY, PLEASE GO BACK AND READ IT UNTIL THE END.

(3+ comments/votes for the next chapter!)
*NOT EDITED*

*****

Adelaide watched Alec through heavily lidded eyes as he pulled himself up on her bed, running a hand through his unruly hair. Adelaide's heart felt like it was going to explode from the intense amount of love she felt for the man sitting beside her, and despite all the things that seemed to be going wrong around them, neither Alec or Adelaide had ever felt quite so content as they did in that moment.

'What changed?' Adelaide asked quietly, pulling the sheets around her body tighter.

'You'll have to be a little more specific.' Alec commented wryly, his mouth twisting into a smirk as he pulled his pants back on.

'The last time I saw you Alec, you were getting ready to marry another woman.'

'When you didn't arrive with Magnus, I didn't think I'd be able to go through with the wedding without you being there. Lydia managed to calm me down, but Magnus-'

'Magnus what?' Adelaide cut in, and upon seeing the amused look on Alec's face she smiled sheepishly. 'Sorry.'

'Magnus called in that favour I owed him.' Alec shrugged, recalling Magnus' price for helping Isabelle.

'How about, you'll simply owe me a favour?' Magnus finally decided.

Alec frowned. 'That's it? Just one favour?'

'Unless of course you'd rather I not-'

'No! No, one favour. Fine, done.'

Adelaide snickered quietly. 'Why do I get the feeling that Magnus knows so much more than he lets on?'

'Because he's a warlock, they're sneaky.' Alec raised his eyebrows at Adelaide; smirk still tugging at his lips and Adelaide promptly shoved him lightly.

'Play nice Alec.'

Alec laughed, his eyes settling on Adelaide, taking in everything about her from her wild bed hair to the way her eyes seemed to sparkle when she looked at him.

Alec sighed, running a hand through her thick hair gently, twirling the ends in his fingers.

'What's wrong?' Adelaide asked gently.

'They'll be looking for me. I should go and clean up the mess I made.' Alec's fingers trailed down Adelaide's shoulder and right down her arm, making her shiver.

'What mess? Alec, you still haven't explained how you got here, how you got away from your Mum and Lydia-

'I know. I don't want to think about it.' Alec admitted quietly, imagining the mess he'd left behind at the institute.