Author's Note: I never thought I'd actually be posting anything on this site to be honest, but I think I've read just about every good MJ fic I could find. So in the event of me running out of things to read (or waiting on current reads to be updated) I decided to post my own. It's been a while since I've actually written anything, so hopefully I'm not too rusty. I'll let you good readers judge. Enjoy the first chapter!

____

1972; American Bandstand

Makeup artists, wardrobe, and other members of the backstage crew, ran around the spacious room in a frenzy. Bags and drawers were ransacked and rummaged through in order to find the appropriate make up and accessories for the three young girls. They were each sitting down patiently in front of the makeup station, while their manager furiously yelled at everyone to get a move on.

"My girls need to be in front of that audience in five damn minutes! Why hasn't their makeup been done yet?!" she shouted.

"We are so sorry Ms. Olivia!" One of the assistants anxiously said, finally finding the correct shade of foundation she was looking for. She quickly went to the youngest of the three, Vanessa, and began applying the makeup to her face. She was absolutely relieved that it matched her skin this time. "We don't usually make up people this-" she quickly froze.

Olivia put her hands on her hips. "This what?" This color is what the young woman was going to say, she already knew it. She just wanted to hear it come out of her mouth.

"U-Um." she stuttered. This girl was clearly new, and she didn't want to say anything that would possibly get her fired.

The older woman shook her head and scoffed. "If you aren't gonna answer me then get started! Now you only have four minutes!" Olivia sighed, exasperated. "Instead of wasting time talking, do your damn job."

The young girl cleared her throat with a nod of her head. "Y-Yes ma'am..." she stuttered. Quickly, but thoroughly, she resumed application of the medium tan colored makeup to the twelve year old's face. At the same time, two others hurried up to the remaining two girls to start on their faces as well. Vanessa took notice to how the artists had much more makeup spread out for her sisters than for her.

"Ms. Olivia?" her soft voice called to her manager. The woman turned to give her her attention, signaling for Vanessa to continue. "Can I wear some of that too?" She pointed towards the shimmering eyeshadow that was now being applied to Tamera, the oldest.

Olivia glanced at the sixteen year old for a split second, then back to little Vanessa. "No."

The child frowned. "Why not?"

"Because I said so is why!" she replied, raising her voice. "You're suppose to be the cute one Vanessa, cute little girls don't need all that."

"Then how come Jessica get to? She's little too!" Vanessa tried to argue.

"No I'm not!" Jessica quickly interjected while her own lightly applied eye makeup was getting finished. She nearly sounded offended. "I'm fourteen!" she reminded, while the oldest sister chuckled next to her.

"Don't argue with me, Vanessa." Olivia warned, to which Vanessa disappointedly nodded. Olivia, seeing the sullen look that was now on her face, rolled her eyes and picked up a random tube of lip gloss from the counter. She slammed it down next to her, making the artist jump. "Put that on her too." she spat. Vanessa smiled and happily uttered a 'thank you' to her, though it only fell on deaf ears.

"While the three of them are doing that, get started on looking for our darker shades." Linda, the head of the makeup team, stated to everyone else. "I'm gonna need Mocha and Almond for when the Jacksons get here. We need to be prepared this time!" For a split second she got chills, remembering the short moment of embarrassment she was feeling not too long ago.