bad for you (2)

-lucas-

As time went by, Riley and I began to talk a little more. She could figure me out so easily and I fell for her charm. We had secret spots at school and the park to hide us from the rest of the world; from anyone who could say anything about us.

My friends wouldn't only torment me, but they would do worse to her. I wanted to hide her from them as much as possible.

"You know it's nice to talk to someone who won't judge me." I say one time when we sat at our spot at the park.

"Do your friends judge you?" She asks while eating one of the sandwiches she brought for us.

"Yeah..." I hesitate. "They want me to be like them. To fight and steal. I can't talk to them about things I've told you. Except Zay. I've known him since forever."

She nods. Because she understands. She always seems to understand me.

"Do you regret being friends with them?"

"Sometimes. But they're all I know. You know? They're the only ones who really talked to me after what I did. Plus it's only a couple of years. When we graduate, I can go and do what I really want to do."

"But why can't you do that now? I mean, I get it. They've been your friends for so long and that's hard to leave. But you'll have me. And I'll introduce you to my friends. I'm sure they'll like you."

"It's not that easy, Riles."

"What's not easy, Luke? Leaving your friends or actually being seen in public with me?"

"Where is this coming from? We were having such a great afternoon!"

"Lucas, I like being your friend. I like your company. But look where we are? We're in a hidden corner of a park away from the rest of the world. I try to look at you at school and you can't even look my way. I'm getting tired of hiding away."

"I like being your friend too, Riley. But my-"

"Reputation. I know. I know." She nods and looks straight at the lake in front of us. "So this is what it's gonna be like? Us hiding and then pretending like we don't know each other at school?"

"I thought it was okay with you. You're special to me. I don't want them to find out about you." I'm almost begging because I know what comes next.

"You're special to me too. But I don't know if I can keep hiding with you."

"What are you saying?"

"I think you need to get your priorities straight for yourself. For your own good. I can't just be an escape. I want to be a part of your life. A part that you don't have to hide." She started to pack up her things.

"You are. You have to believe that." I begged and tried to pull her back.

"I'll see you." She looked away from me and pulled away.

-

After Riley and I stopped talking, I was back with my group of friends. But from time to time, I'd look for Riley at school.

I begin to notice her hanging around with some guy I recognize as Evan from our chemistry class.

She was laughing with him and putting her hair behind her ear like she did when she got shy about something. I get glimpses of how she used to be with me. She's found someone better; someone she actually deserves.

"Hey man, you okay? You've been staring at nothing for a good ten minutes now." Zay notices while we sat in some corner of the library.

"Do you think I can be with someone like her?" I signal towards Riley and he looks her way.

"Riley Matthews? The new girl? Why her?"

"She's...pretty." I choose the simplest word I can describe her with. I knew she was way more than pretty.

"Yeah, she is," He agrees, "Lucas, if you like her, go for it. It doesn't matter what the guys think."

"Like her? I haven't even spoken to the girl. It was a hypothetical question, Zay." I deflected.

"Don't think I didn't see you guys sneaking around before, Luke. She was obviously someone special to you and if you want to be with her, then do it."

"I'm not good for her. She deserves someone who doesn't have a criminal record."

"You are the best guy I know, Luke. We all might have done terrible things, but that doesn't mean we can't change. Lucas, you're a good guy. You're my best friend and you deserve the best. And if you think that's Riley Matthews, then go."

"But the guys-"

"The guys are assholes. It doesn't matter what they think. Just go up to her and profess your love." He slightly elbows me and smirks. I rolled my eyes and stood up.

"Thanks Zay." 

I made my way towards her and caught Evan's attention. 

"Lucas. Do you need anything?" Riley looks up from her book with wide eyes.

"Uhh, can I talk to Riley.. alone?" Riley reluctantly gets up from her seat and tells Evan she'll be back.

"Lucas, what are you doing? Someone might see us."

"It doesn't matter. I wanted to talk to you again. I miss you, Riley."

"Lucas, stop. I'm not going to do that again. I'm not your secret friend." She crosses her arms and avoids my eyes.

"That's not what I want anymore. Look, I don't think of you as a friend." She looked at me with hurt in her eyes. "Okay. That's not what I meant. I really like you, Riley."

"You...what?" 

"I like you. Like a lot." I chuckled, "Like, it was difficult for me to stop thinking about you. Like, you're the only one who understands me. Like, I really want to be with you."

"I like you too, Lucas," I grin and try to wrap my arms around her but she stops me, "but I'm not going to be you secret girlfriend, okay. It's either you're all in or not at all."

"What makes you think I'd want to hide you being my girlfriend?" I shook my head at her and turned towards the library, "Listen up! I like Riley Matthews and she's-" She stops my yelling by covering my mouth.

"Lucas, stop. What are you doing?" She laughs.

"I'm declaring my feelings for you." 

"You're so dumb."

"I'm never going to hide you again." I pull her towards me by her waist and her hands make their way behind my neck.

"Good. I'm yours."

"So am I." My hands cup her face and she smiles at me as I kiss her.