take care of me (2)

-lucas-

I woke up way better than I expected.

Maybe it was the meds that the doctor gave me, or the fact that Riley took care of me all night. Either way I was grateful that she's there for me.

She was tangled up beside me feeling warmer than usual.

I felt her forehead and it was hot and sweaty. I untangled her legs slowly from mine and got up quickly and grabbed a wet face towel to put on her forehead.

I got Riley sick. How am I supposed to live with myself now? I mentally punched myself because of how I begged her to sleep beside me last night. Maybe then, she wouldn't be sick.

While I was shaming myself, her phone kept vibrating beside my bed.

Daddy calling...

I answered one of his calls to ease his worry.

"Hello, Mr. Matthews."

"Lucas? Why are you answering my daughter's phone? I thought you were sick. Where is my daughter?" He tried to sound tough but failed.

"Sleeping, sir. And I was sick, but Riley took good care of me."

"She's not sleeping beside you, I hope." He said more like a question.

"I would never, sir." I smiled a bit.

"Lucas, I don't like the smirk I hear in your voice."

"What smirk, sir?"

"Never mind, Lucas. I'm glad you're alright and ready to be back in class. Make sure she's home for dinner." He sighed.

"Yes, sir."

I placed Riley's phone back on my bedside table and went out of my room to call my mom.

"Oh Lucas, you're up and running!"

"Momma, Riley has a fever."

"I thought she would since you were sleeping beside each other." She said with a smirk. "Don't worry, dear, I made her some of your grandmother's tea to drink. She'll be okay."

"Momma, I can't bring her back home sick."

"She'll be okay." She came and comforted me and we went to my room where Riley slept.

First, she woke Riley and sat her up.

"I'm cold." Riley says shivering and I rushed to cover her with my blanket.

"Honey, I made you some tea."

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Friar." She took the mug and sipped her drink.

"Mornin', sunshine, I'm so sorry I got you sick." I said as I sat beside her and my mom left the room.

"Lucas, don't worry. It's just a fever." She smiled back.

"Your dad will be so pissed at me."

"My dad will be okay." She reassured me and held my hand.

Even when she's sick she makes sure that everyone else is happy. That's what I love most about her, I think. But it could also be a flaw. She never worries about herself. It always mattered to her what her friends think, how her friends are, if they're okay; but if it's about her, it's no big deal.

This time, I'll make sure I take care of her.

"I'll go make you some soup." I said as I got up to go to the kitchen, leaving her smiling face at me.

-riley-

Should I ask him about last night? Surely, he won't remember. I mean, he was pretty much drugged. Do people lie when they're drugged? Ugh I don't know. Maybe I'll just wait until he says something.

I don't feel sick at all except for the fact that I'm constantly cold and sweaty. Lucas has been in their kitchen for half an hour now and all I can really think about is what he said last night. I won't ask him about it, but I'll definitely think about it all week. Maybe I should ask Maya...

Ten minutes later, Lucas comes in with a tray of food: a bowl of soup, a bun, a glass of Orange juice, and a rose. An instant smile is plastered on my face and I realize that I think I've been in love with him for awhile now.

The guy has his secrets, but at the end of the day, he'll always be Mr. Perfect. I mean, he has a perfect everything, and he's pretty much perfect.

"What's this all about, Lucas?" I laugh a little.

"I felt really bad so I made you soup. And I got this rose from my momma's garden in the balcony. Please don't tell her." He said the last part in a hushed voice and I laughed.

"Well, thank you. You really didn't have to steal from your mom, Lucas. I would've been fine with the food."

"No, I insist. Here." He took the spoon and scooped some soup up to feed me. I laughed again but complied.

"Lucas, I can feed myself." I said after I swallow the soup.

"I know, I just wanted to try it." He laughed with me. I took the bun and ripped a piece off and feeding it to him.

We were being disgustingly sweet and if Maya was here, I imagine her making the choking noises.

-lucas-

Riley was okay after lunch then she took a shower.

Afterwards, we decided to just sit and watch tv.

The Knicks had a game so we just watched together, and I finally got to witness how intense she is when she watched basketball.

We finished the game before deciding that I should probably drive her home because her dad will be worried.

She said a goodbye to my momma and gave her a hug.

We went down to where my momma's car was parked and I opened the door for her.

"Thanks." She smiled.

Her place was only a couple minutes away so we got there in no time.

"It's funny how I was supposed to take care of you, but you ended up taking care of me."

"Hey, you took real good care of me, city girl. Thanks for that, by the way."

She tiptoed to kiss my cheek, and I felt my cheeks burn.

"I'll see you at school?"

"See ya, Riles."

--
thanks for the prompt @sleepintheroses, here ya go!
I felt the first part of this was cut short and I really like worried Lucas.
Sorry for how long it took me to update. Hopefully it won't take me as long next time, but idk bc I have a lot of school stuff to do.
Anyway, 1k reads thank you so much!!! I can't believe it.
GMW season 2 premiere week, what a great week :)