Chapter 38. Bereavement

What else could the next few hours around that humble dwelling basking in the mellow sunshine be described as?

Idle waiting?

Dreaded patients?

Silent penance for a regretful choice?

No...

Though not much had happened after Ray had returned from his duties, exhausted and spotted with grease, what did happen though was a collected discussion, brimming on the edge of a furious argument staccato with screams, on Doug's irrational behavior around the children that took place away from their fragile ears as they calmed themselves inside soon after Doug had tried to explain why he did what he did. The sudden fury from Doug, as his only leverage was taken so humiliatingly by a rodent aiding a devil, had scared the three of them bad enough that the fooled man was almost sent home to his still being repaired house. And if it had not been for the apologetic pleas of a broken man and previous attempt to apologies to the kids before Ray had got home, it would have happened. Soul shattering discords had finally cracked the surface from the strong figure, and the innocent had seen the full grunt of it from a being driven by an idiotic cause, as seen by an outside mind. The genuine regret for his outburst cooled some tempers, enough for Ray to let him continue to watch the kids.

Although, the clandestine fires flowing through the blood of a man seeing an end to an arduous crumbling road had burned hot enough to melt the tentative connection that held the bond that he and his son still shared, a fire Doug would soon channel with great delight through his arm to a bullet, whether it be to the fox or his girl. This personal vandeter the animal had against him seemed to not want to rest till his life was in tatters. It had taken all he had with his son, save for this lifeless bond, and now it was set on wanting his life long friend, someone who had been with him through it all right from his first days growing up.

That was not going to happen.

And with such resounding turmoil consuming the man he had regarded so highly as a human, as well as the horrifying threat made against the wistful life stricken in the hutch, Blake was intent to the point of insanity to make this plan work. His mind pulled on the leash that held his wild self back, that being held waveringly by his human trait as it wept for a strong man brought to his proverbial knees, and a solemn desire to console the distress of a life quickly becoming meaningless right before his eyes. This was not the same man driven by mild determination during the onslaught half a year ago. Blake had been down that dangerous path of demons and doubts of his self worth. Before him, as he peaked through shades of full bracken while the sun drifted peacefully overhead, he saw a man clutching vainly to his last threads of hope. Blake's actions of needing to be with his life's meaning stretched his quivering bond with the man so desperate for release of grief that the fox couldn't rest, retreat, or reprise. So thick was the denial within his father that he couldn't see through to acceptance.

Blake had his means of getting his love to freedom, he had support from an unlikely friend, and after his father's reckless stunt in front of the children, he knew this breakout had to be done tonight with fluidity. Yet with each thought of how to do it, there was a certain niggle that wished for him to help the one who intended to kill him, for him to see who the fox was. But this beaten and down man wanted his blood spilled, or Jade's was going to be spilled in his place.

And that was not going to happen.

Blake felt it the air.

His father felt it in the air.

No... There could only be one appropriate description for this place on earth at that moment.