Lookin' Pretty in a Hotel Bar [] Her

I pulled the fake ID out of my back pocket, the small card was bathed in red light from the bar's neon light signs.

The small plastic ID read "Ella Entwhistle, age 22" when really I was just a broken nineteen-year-old named Kiara running away from home.

As I handed the ID to the guard in the front, my heart pounded even quicker than before. He shined his small flashlight over the card, handed it back to me, and nodded.

I looked back one more time into the lit up hotel lobby and watched the swarm of people fill the large room. Tired mothers in yoga pants herded small children, the little ones bouncing around in excitement. Businessmen held phones to their ears, lugging sleek, black suitcases behind them. 

And with that, I entered the bar.

-----

It took my eyes a few seconds to adjust to the darkness. I expected much more from a hotel bar, but instead of a bar filled with people dancing and laughing, there were only a few scruffy looking men and a bartender that was patiently awaiting a new order. 

I sat down a few seats away from a groggy looking man. He scratched his beard and took another sip of his drink, not noticing anyone around him. I saw the bartender out of the corner of my eye, and I looked up to see her smiling at me, teeth so white they were almost blinding.

"Anything I can get for you, sweetheart? she said, her voice dripping with fake happiness.

"Ummm," I looked up at the lit up board above her, a menu filled with alcoholic drinks that I didn't want to risk trying. "I'll just take a water please."

The bartender walked away, and the sound of her high-heeled boots click-clacking on the floor filling the empty room.

I looked up one more time out of boredom and saw something I didn't think I would ever see again.

Him.