twenty-one

well hello pals! its been a while. only like a year and a half right? turns out, I'm actually NOT dead. yay. i feel like i have a bit of explaining to do about my lengthy absence. i started taking college classes at the beginning of last school year, around the last time that i updated. i became really busy with school and honestly i couldn't find the time to write anymore and i lost my drive for it. if I'm being candid with you guys, i actually was not planning on updating this story again. i considered giving it away and letting someone finish writing it for a while, but ultimately decided against it. however, as i looked at my phone today, i saw some notifications of one of you guys commenting on my story and it surprised me a bit that people still read this story after all this time. i made a decision to go through and read all your comments for the first time in a while and it was amazing. i tried to answer a lot of them and i encouraged many of you to throat punch people, mainly jack. its not weird. i promise. albeit, i did not want to continue this story and i thought if i did i would not be putting out writing that i was proud of because my heart wasn't in it. but you guys and all of your comments have inspired me and relit the fire under me to work on this story and possibly even my other stories soon. i want to finish this story for you, and if i do, messages will be my first completed story on wattpad! so first and foremost, i want to say thank you to every single person that has ever read, voted, or commented on this or any of my other stories. it made me insanely happy to see all the comments today and i hope i will see many more in the future. secondly, as i reread this story so i could remember where i left off - yes i did forget what i wrote in my own story - i realized how young my writing style was when i wrote this story. ive matured a lot as a writer since i last wrote, and i know there are plot holes and inconsistencies in the writing. i may go back and edit the chapters and do a bit of rewriting, but i am not sure at this point. lastly, if you have gotten this far in this dreadfully long authors note, thank you and i hope you have enjoyed and do enjoy the rest of the story!

-

andrea

i cracked my eyes open, only to be immediately blinded. i raise my hand to block the sun and let out a small groan. what the hell happened last night? i swallowed a few times, trying to the moisture back into my dry mouth with no avail. i got up from my couch, my thoughts drifting from the fact that i need water to 'why the hell was i sleeping on my couch?' i let out a yawn, letting my eyes drift closed as i walk into my kitchen. i hope i haven't drunk all the bottles of water in my fridge yet; the tap water is horrific. as i open my eyes my brain slowly registers the figure standing in my kitchen. i let out a terrified scream and throw the nearest object - it was an apple - at the approaching figure. as they open their mouth to speak, my fist shoots out.

"andrea! what the fuck is wrong with you?" jack croaks out, holding his throat with watery eyes.

jack? jack. oh fuck. jack!

"oh my god, jack!" i shriek. i just throat punched jack!

"why did you punch me?" jack asks after he finally begins to breathe normally again. he rubs his throat a moment longer before dropping his hand. he's looking at my quizzically, probably wondering what kind of crazy bitch he hung out with last night.

"i am so sorry, jack! i forgot you were here last night and i thought a stranger was in my kitchen and you were going to kill me and i can't die yet, there are so many things i haven't done yet, so many places i haven't seen! i'm too young to die, you know? it was purely self defense. maybe you should throat punch me back, will that make up for it? here just get me one good time. make it quick, though-"

"shut the fuck up, andrea," jack cuts off my rambling. "i am not going to throat punch you."

"are you sure? it would probably make you feel better. i don't mind, really, its only fair since i throat punched you firs-"

jack cuts me off again. "can't you just stop trying to get me to throat punch you and give me a hug like a normal person?"

i blush slightly and stay silent as i step forward and lean up on my toes to wrap my arms around his neck. his hands quickly find their way around my waist and jack pulls me closer to him. his head drops down into the crook of my neck and i feel him press a light kiss to my neck before nuzzling his face into me. i accidentally make the mistake of letting a small laugh. what? i'm ticklish.

"what are you laughing at?" jack asks sassily.

"oh, nothing," i say quickly, trying to cover it up.

jack pulls his head up so he can meet my eyes. he draws in his eyebrows and gives me a knowing look. "you better tell me."

"it tickled, okay?" i sheepishly admit. a goofy smile spreads across his face and he gets a mischievous look in his eyes. "jack, you better not," i warn him, but of course he doesn't listen. his hands fingers move rapidly across my sides as he starts tickling me. my traitorous mouth lets a laugh slip out and i push his hands away and run in the opposite direction. i am not dying today, ladies.

"oh, no you don't," jack says as he follows me. i feel his hands wrap around my waist and he picks me off the ground from behind. damn you, tiny apartment. he sets my feet back on the ground and drops his face down to my jawline. i feel him leaving small kisses over my jaw and to my ear, then down my neck.

"jack," i breathe out. "jack," i repeat a little louder when he doesn't answer. he continues on his path down my neck. "jack!" i yell out and finally gain his attention.

"what is it, baby?" he asks softly.

"do you smell something burning?"

"fuck!" he yelps and immediantely abandons me to sprint into the kitchen. i follow behind at a slower pace and enter the kitchen to see him waving a towel around to get the smoke away from the stove. i curiously walk over to see completely charred pancakes, bacon, and eggs. "i'm so sorry, andrea," jack apologizes. "i was going to make you breakfast and wake you up and surprise you, but then you came in and i completely forgot about it."

"its okay, jack, really," i say and rest my hand on his arm in a poor attempt of comforting him. "i don't really like eggs anyways," i joke to lighten his mood.

"you don't?" jack asks, looking even more worried than before. "god, i was going to give you food that you don't even like! i really suck at this kind of stuff."

"no, jack, i think its so sweet that you were cooking me breakfast," i say to reassure him. "why don't we clean this up really fast and then go out for breakfast?"

"waffle house?" he asks excitedly. he is such a child.

"waffle house." i agree. at least i can get a waffle there. i didn't have the heart to tell jack that i'm not a big pancake fan either.

-

hope you enjoyed the update! better late than never, right? i know the chapter wasn't that long but i wanted to get the authors note at the beginning of the chapter out and i wanted to give you guys an update as soon as possible. i have to pee so bad but i was determined to finish this first. and don't forget, when in doubt, definitely throat punch them. bye all you lovely people! -Kendall