37

Nicholas had been staring at the ceiling for two hours straight. He couldn't fall back asleep and sadly, it was too late now to try.

Nick wished that his parents would somehow forget about his birthday. He didn't have the energy to put on a fake smile and act like everything was okay.

He heard his parents walk out of their room and Nicholas sighed. He closed his eyes and listened as they walked down the stairs.

Every year was the same. His mother would go downstairs to make him a birthday breakfast while his father would read the morning paper.

But this year was different. This year, Nicholas barely had the energy to get out of bed. This year, Nicholas didn't have his best friend to spend the day with.

There was a knock on the door and Nicholas looked over his shoulder. Mr. Holland opened the door and peaked his head into the room. "Grandma's on the phone."

Nick sighed inaudibly and kicked the blankets off of himself. He sat up and his father walked into his room to hand him the phone.

"Hey Grandma," Nick said into the phone, sounding as cheerful as he could.

"NICHOLAS?" His grandma yelled into the phone. He winced and held the phone away from his ear.

"HI GRANDMA!" He yelled back. She heard him this time.

"HI HONEY!" She said and adjusted her hearing aid, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEETHEART!"

"Thanks," He breathed out.

"HUH?"

"THANK YOU!" Nick yelled.

Justin, who was now leaning against the frame of the door, laughed. He shook his head at his son and mother.

"I GOTTA GO NOW HUN," Nick's grandma said, "OR ELSE MY CHICKEN-POT-PIE IS GOING TO BURN! BUT I JUST WANTED TO WISH YOU A HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

"OKAY, LOVE YOU!"

"WHY DO YOU WANT TO RUB ME?"

"LOVE, NOT RUB!" He said with a grimace. Horrifying images popped into his head. He shuddered.

"OH. I LOVE YOU TOO."

She ended the call and Nicholas let out a groan.

"We really need to get her a new hearing aid," Justin said and took the phone from his son.

"Yeah," Nicholas nodded, "And very, very soon."

Mr. Holland chuckled and pointed out of the room. "Your mother is almost done with your breakfast. Come downstairs when you're dressed."

"Alright."

Justin left the room and closed the door behind him. Nick laid back down on his bed.

"Happy Birthday, Nicholas," He muttered to himself.

Later

Brayden threw his jersey over his head. As he tugged it down over his abdomen, the collar lowered and revealed a small bruise on his neck.