Chapter 22 - The Dance

Start from the beginning

She brushed through my hair and began curling it. I trusted that she would make it look good. Her hair is always perfect, something I've noticed but would never even think to admit to her out loud. I've already swallowed enough of my pride for one day.

"So," she said. "Tell me about this Stilinski boy, the Sherrif's son."

I blushed at the thought of him. I then proceeded to tell her everything. It felt good to say it all to someone who would actually listen. I told her about how he was my hope after Mom died, how I watched him from afar all those years. I told her that we became close, without the mention of the whole Scott becoming a werewolf thing that actually brought us together. I told her how my heart does this weird, twisting thing in my chest just at the thought of him.

She told me that's what falling in love feels like. You hardly eat because you have already been filled. Your heart takes over your actions because being logical no longer makes sense. It terrified me that I possessed all the symptoms she mentioned. Is that bad?

"Is this him?" Melanie was pointing to the strip of pictures Stiles and I had taken yesterday. I had placed them in my scrapbook which was laying open on my dresser. My face went hot at the smile on her face as she studied them. "You two are adorable together,"

"Thanks," I said. 

She set the curling iron down and began twisting and pinning hairs. She had turned me away from the mirror so that my final look could be a surprise. It was strange how much I actually trusted her with my hair, face, and secrets. She's the only person to whom I've confessed my true feelings for Stiles. Lydia would have died of boredom.

After she was satisfied with my hair, she began applying my make-up. I've always been dreadful at this. Mom died before she could really teach me. High school was the age when you are first supposed to learn how to make yourself look gorgeous properly. I never got that chance with her.

Melanie explained what she was doing as she did so. I appreciated this. I learned things I never knew before, things I never even thought of doing to my face. It was incredible how knowledgeable she was about beauty.

She applied my last layer, a dash of lipstick. I'll admit, I was nervous to see my final look. I've never really thought of myself as beautiful. I'm just another girl, another face in the crowd. I may not be normal, but I'm nothing special either.

I could not control the gasp that escaped my lips when I saw my reflection. I saw myself, not a different person. I was still me, but I felt beautiful. I hugged Melanie without thinking. She did deserve it for the amazing job she did. I was no longer timid or insecure, right now I felt as though I could conquer the entire world.

"Now, let's get you in that dress. Your date should be here soon," 

   ☼ 

It felt like a scene out of a cliche movie, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. Melanie walked down the steps first to join Eric and Dad, who were surrounding Stiles and I'm sure bombarding him with questions. I took a deep breath and walked into sight. I was beyond thankful for my decision to wear sparkling golden converse instead of heels as I took that first step down the stairs. I was sure that I would have stumbled and had a repeat of the last time I wore those death traps.

My eyes locked with Stiles'. He looked absolutely dashing in his suit and tie. I couldn't help but smile at the adorable look on his face when he saw me. I curled a strand of hair behind my ear, keeping my other hand on the railing. I needed something to grab onto in case I were to slip.