[4] His Absence

[1 Month Until The Deadline]

Elijah had stayed in the hospital for a whole month after what happened at Michael's house. His lover mourned in his absence, but managed to visit him everyday. Michael didn't know that the disease was that bad, neither did he know, it could cause death. But Elijah wasn't planning on telling him that anytime soon.

"Hey..Michael?" Amari walked up to the boy. "Is Elijah going to be okay?"

He squinted his eyes at her. "Why do you care?"

She sighed. "Because, he's a nice person and I wouldn't want you to lose a friend like him."

Michael was confused, as to why Amari would say something like that about Elijah, and especially towards him. Am I talking to the real Amari?

"Why would you care if I lose him?" The boy still was not convinced Amari actually cared, and that she probably just wanted something out of it.

"Michael can you accept a little bit of sympathy for once!" She yelled. "Elijah came and talked to me a few days ago and told me what was going on with him. He asked me why I always acted the way I did towards you and I told him...what happened between us."

They stood in silence for awhile, at the thought of the situation that has happened between the two. Amari was once Michael's friend, and they were very close to the point she gained a crush on the boy. The day she was going to finally admit her feelings is the day Michael came out the closet. He crushed her heart, without even knowing it. She's the one who threw the drink on him. After that, things changed. He did find out Amari was attracted to him, but she treated him differently and he couldn't find himself giving her a chance or loving her at any point.

"Yeah and?" Michael grew uncomfortable and stuffed his hands in his pockets, avoiding all eye contact with her.

"I just wanted to say that I was sorry." She looked down. "I-I loved you Michael, it's kinda awkward to admit, but it's the truth. I know you're with Elijah, but I was thinking—"

"I'm sorry, but I can't."

"Michael you don't have to visit me everyday." The sick boy sat up in his hospital bed, as the boy walked in.

"I know, but I want to. You can't blame me for wanting to see your face everyday." The boy chuckled and laid next to him in his hospital bed. "How is it in here?"

"Horrible. The food is horrible. The nurses are nice. Yeah that about sums it up." He played in the boy's hair. "I wish I could be with you everyday.." I wish I didn't have to leave so soon.

"That reminds me. Amari talked to me earlier. She told me you talked to her, but why?" The boy was curious, yet confused. He didn't understand why Elijah would even go near the despicable girl, also have a full blown conversation.

"I wanted you two to fix things between each other. She told me what happened...and in case anything happens, you'll have someone besides me to lean on." The sick boy looked away from Michael.

"What do you mean if something happens?" Michael grabbed the sick boy's hand. "Nothing is going to happen to you baby, I don't need anyone else but you."

"M-Michael. Please, Just make up with her." The sick boy squeezed his hand. "For me."

Michael sighed. Maybe I should give her a chance. He thought. The bright side is, I won't get bullied anymore.

"Fine." He laid his head on the sick boy. "Only because I love you."

"I love you too."

The nurse walked into the hospital room and interrupted the two lovers. "Sorry to interrupt, but you have to leave. I have to give him his treatment now."

The sick boy sighed. He was tired. Tired of the medicine, the treatments, the shots, the stress, and the pressure. He just wanted it to be over. He watched as his lover left the room and a frown crept upon his face. He didn't have much time left.

When Michael got outside of the hospital room, he saw a woman pacing back and forth. She looked as if she had a lot on her mind. The woman looked up, making eye contact with the boy. She looks like Elijah...She's his mom.

"You must be one of his friends? Elijah always avoided making friends." His mom stated, her voice worrisome.

"No, I'm--" Michael stopped himself as he saw the look in the woman's eye change. Maybe I shouldn't tell her I'm his boyfriend. "I mean, yeah... I am. I visit him everyday."

A smile crept upon her face and she suddenly engulfed the boy into a hug. He was hesitant, but he hugged back. Through that hug, he felt like he could feel all the pain and suffering she was going through. But why? He thought. Elijah just needs medicine, and he'll be right back up like none of this happened.....right?

"I'm happy he has someone to be here with him everyday." Her tears stained his shirt. "I work so much, and I barely get to see him. And he doesn't really like me around him...I mean I don't blame him."

He felt bad for her, he didn't clearly understand as to why Elijah wouldn't want his mother around. Especially since they don't get to spend any time together. Is that why she isn't going in? He thought. Maybe if I motivate her somehow.

"If you ask your boss, I'm sure he'll understand that your son is sick and needs proper attention." The boy chuckled.

"I can't." She backed away. "I'm doing this for him. It costs a lot of money to keep him properly treated you know. And it's like all of the money just went to waste.... He just has one month left, that's all."

"What do you mean?"

Before Elijah's mother could tell him the secret that has been kept from him for a while now. The nurse came out of Elijah's hospital room, with her equipment and a frown on her face.

"Mrs. Johnson may we have a talk please?" The nurse asked.

The mother nodded and walked away with the nurse, leaving Michael in the midst of confusion. That's all he has been feeling for a while. Confused. As the nurse and the mother neared an almost vacant hallway, the nurse grabbed the mother's hand.

"He doesn't have much time left... I don't know why, but as the days come and go. His deadline comes closer and closer." She explained.

The mother gripped onto the hand of the nurse. "Does that mean?" She nodded. "How much time does he has now?"

"Until next week."