Chapter 22

Klaus scooped Elisabeth up in his arms and carried her to the bedroom and got them both comfortable. She was unable to stop crying and just held onto him for dear life. Suddenly she bolted upright and ran to the bathroom and vomited bile and when there was no more left her stomach continued to heave. Klaus was behind her holding her hair and rubbing her back to comfort her. He wished he could do something to make this stop, she was so upset it was literally making her sick. After almost an hour her stomach had finally settled. While she brushed her teeth and rinsed her mouth Klaus was busy gathering something comfortable for her to change into. He came back and started the shower for her and helped her remove her clothes and then his own. He led her into the shower after making sure the water wouldn't burn her and sat her on the bench. Klaus poured a bit of ocean scented shampoo into his hand and began lathering it into her hair and massaged her scalp. She sat completely still and emotionless as he then squirted some of the mild scented body wash onto a cloth and began gently washing her body.

He was scared for her. She'd stopped crying, wasn't talking and was pale and cold. He'd tried talking to her but she hadn't responded at all. He wasn't even sure if she could hear him. He quickly washed himself and rinsed the two of them before shutting the water off and grabbing towels. He wrapped one around his waist and then used another to dry her then wrapped a fresh dry one around her torso. He then carried her out of the shower and lifted her onto the sink vanity and began to towel dry her hair and carefully brush the tangles out. Klaus grabbed one of the shirts he had brought in with him and pulled it over her head and covered her body before removing her towel. He kissed her forehead and left her there for just a moment so he could quickly dry off and put his clothes on. She remained blank faced and silent as he carried her back to bed and tucked her in. Klaus went to light the fire that had gone out hours ago and then made her some tea. When he walked back into the bedroom he saw her curled in a little ball with an unknown look on her face and tears threatening to fall. "Sweetheart please don't cry. It kills me to see you like this." He asked of her as he pulled another blanket over her and rubbed her back. He set the tea on the nightstand and climbed into bed with her. He pulled her to lay across his chest and held her.

"Please talk to me. I can't help you if I don't know what you need." She sniffled and continued to stare ahead, he sighed. "She used to love me like a mother would love her daughter. Now she hates me. Why does she hate me?" He kissed her still wet hair and pondered how to answer this. "I don't think she hates you..." "She does. She's never once been so cold and cruel to me or anyone I've ever seen her with. She told me she would make everything right. How is this right? She'll take me from you. She knows I can't do what takes years to learn in just a few months. You should have let me die." He pulled her upright with a bit more force that was necessary and held her face. "No Elisabeth. You dying isn't the answer. This is our task, not yours alone. Trust me, we'll do this together." She scoffed at him. "Trust you? You trust no one. Why should I?" she blurted out and immediately covered her mouth with her hands, her eyes wide and shook her head and he looked at her with surprise. "I didn't mean that. I'm sorry I..." he held her hands. "It's okay, it's true I don't trust anyone and you trust too easily. Maybe we can help each other, hmmm?" She needed more people in her corner he thought and remembered the young vampire that had helped deliver her to him. "Sweetheart I don't want to upset you but, perhaps if we had someone else to help us then it might make it easier for you. You seemed to be fond of the vampire Caron. Would you like me to find him?" he asked her nervously. Though they had met under the worst possible circumstances she did like him. He was kind to her and took care of her when he could. "Can you find him? He's probably run off somewhere." He smiled at her. "I can find anyone love." She would feel better with someone else on her side so she agreed. "Yes please." He kissed her and got her settled down.

"I'm going to make some calls and run out for a few things. I want you to sleep while I'm gone. Understood?" She looked at him anxiously, she wasn't used to being left alone. In fact, she can't remember ever being alone, except earlier when she ran from him. "Take me with you." "No. You need to sleep. Get back in the bed." He ordered as she had hopped out and started toward the chest of drawers for clothes. "What if something happens when you're gone? What if Lili comes back? What if..." "Elisabeth stop. Nothing is going to happen. You will be fine." His tone was firm and he nudged her gently back toward the bed. He watched her crawl into the bed, clearly not happy before he walked out of the room. He was in the kitchen pouring a small shot of bourbon and picked up the spare cell phone before going back to the bedroom. She was seated in the middle of the bed with her arms crossing her chest and a pout across her face. He smirked at her adorable little self before he sat on the bed with her. He handed her the glass and she just looked at it. "Drink it please." He told her and hoped it wouldn't make her sick again. She did as she was told and gagged after she swallowed the burning liquid. "Ugh it's horrible!" he just chuckled at her and kissed her head. "Here is a phone. My number is the only one in it. It's fully charged and on and you can call me if you need me. Call no one else and if it should ring with a number other than mine do not answer it. Understood?" She pushed the empty glass at him and refused to take the phone. She frowned at him and turned her back. He sighed and put his hand on her shoulder. "Elisabeth please. Can you just cooperate a little bit? I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities in your life for you to give me a hard time, let's not use them all up in a few days, hmmm." She quickly turned and snatched the phone from his hand. "Fine." Was all she had to say to him, he sighed and watched her scoot to the far side of the bed and pulled all the blankets with her. Goody. He was lucky enough to get the gorgeous but moody oracle. Why couldn't she just be docile? Though after meeting Lili he was guessing this trait ran in her genes. He got up from the bed and began to walk out. "Be good. I'll be back soon love." He told her before walking out of the room and grabbing his keys. It was debatable if he was an alcoholic but he was pretty sure she was going to tip the scales and soon. Elisabeth quickly got out of bed and ran toward him. "Wait!" she shouted at him and smashed into him and held on to him tight. "I'm sorry."

"I know sweetheart. It's okay. Please be a good girl while I'm gone. I won't be long, I promise." He kissed her head and stroked her back before leaving. Klaus made some calls and in less than an hour had his top people looking for Caron. He was sure that the young vampire would not hurt her and could in fact be helpful. If nothing else, he could at least keep her occupied and out of trouble. He also made a stop to feed on a few travelers he found. All of the events of the day had left him drained and he needed something to distract him from that as well as the memory of Elisabeth's blood which he could still taste in his mouth. One more stop brought him to an Italian restaurant and he ordered some of everything. He knew she was hungry hours earlier and then everything went to hell. He just hoped she could eat without being sick. He had been so worried and there wasn't anything he could do about it. There were voicemails and tests from Elijah and Freya. He thought about calling Elijah but really had no idea what he'd say. How would he explain all this? A problem for tomorrow he decided. He sighed and loaded the car with the food and bottles of wine he'd obtained for them. He probably shouldn't be giving her alcohol; she was already a mess but he definitely needed it. He received a few text messages notifying him of a few leads. Caron wasn't hiding but it doesn't mean there was a breadcrumb trail leading to his whereabouts.

As promised another chapter up. So looks like Caron is coming back. Any thoughts on this? If you enjoyed this chapter please vote, comment, share and follow. Also a special thanks to fellow writers who have provided support and encouragement. Kisses my loves.