After a weekend of working, waking up on Monday morning to Educational Degree #23 was not exactly ideal.

"What the hell is a 'High Inquisitor'?" Alicia asks as soon as we sit down to breakfast.

"I have no idea," Georgiana responds, "it's probably just a way for the Ministry to stick their nose even further into Hogwarts."

Over the next couple of weeks we learn what it is. Georgiana wasn't far off at all. We only have a couple of classes with Umbridge expecting them, but the castle seems to be filled with an odd kind of tension along with a unanimous hatred of Umbridge. It's gotten to the point that, given the choice, most students would rather throw her to the giant squid than Snape.

One month into school and we have our first Hogsmeade visit coming up. The Friday before I catch George outside dinner.

"Hey, are you going to Hogsmeade tomorrow?" I ask.

"Yeah, I-"

"Do you want to go together?"

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something," George says, dropping his voice, "are you free now?"

"I have class with Grubbly-Plank," I say, "what is it?"

"I'll tell you in the morning," he says.

"Okay," I agree.

***

"So, spill the beans," I say, sitting next to George at breakfast.

"Shh, not now," he says, "when we've left the castle."

I groan. I hate secrets. Ironic, I know.

We line up to go to Hogsmeade and I'm practically bursting. I manage to wait until we're halfway through the grounds before I crack.

"Can you tell me now?" I burst out. George laughs.

"Yeah," he says, "okay, so you know Hermione? One of Ron's friends? Well, she wants us to go along to a meeting today, something about a new defense class. Are you interested?"

"You mean instead of Umbridge?" I ask, "uh, yes. Count me in."

"Great," he grins, "I need to go to Zonko's first, then we can get a coffee or something before hand, if you like."

"You go to Zonko's, I'll go to Honeydukes," I say, "where are we meeting Hermione?"

"The Hog's Head," George says, "I'll swing by Honeydukes and pick you up before."

"Okay, see you in a bit!"

I go into Honeydukes and head straight for the blood flavoured lollipops. I get a bunch of them and put them in a paper bag, then browse the shop for a few minutes. I nearly always buy some other sweets too, as decoys. I pick some ice mice and sugar quills and make my purchases, then step outside to wait for George.

"What did you get?" he asks, arriving with Fred.

"What did you get?" I ask, looking at the strange, pointy thing sticking out of his bag. George grins and winks at me.

"You're right, I don't want to know," I laugh, linking arms with him. We walk through the village to the small pub. It's old and slightly grimy. There are a few other students there already and a couple of others. I take a seat in between the twins. There's a gradual trickle of students until finally Hermione stands up and clears her throat.

"Um, so, you all know why we're here," she says nervously, "we need a defense teacher. A proper defense teacher."

There's a murmur of agreement and Hermione seems to take courage from this.

"So, I had the idea that Harry would teach us," she continues, "I mean, after all, he's proved that he knows a lot about fighting the dark arts."

"Yeah, but he also thinks that You-Know-Who has returned," a Hufflepuff boy drawls, "so, I mean..."

"He has returned," Hermione says, "Dumbledore believes Harry. So do I."

"Well, yeah, but where's the proof?" the boy asks again.

"It doesn't matter," I interrupt, "this isn't about You-Know-Who, this is about learning defense. Personally I wouldn't call what Umbridge is teaching us defense, so much as reading practice. I'd rather be able to practice spells than have the first time I use them be in exam conditions and if you had any brains at all, you'd agree with me."

"Here, here," George says, patting me on the back.

"Yes, well," Hermione nods, "so, um, the first thing we'll have to do is arrange meeting times, because I don't think there's a point if we don't meet regularly."

"Hold on, this can't interrupt with our quidditch practice," Angelina interrupts.

"Nor ours," the Hufflepuff boy says.

"Or ours," Cho adds.

"We'll find a time that suits everyone," Hermione says, "the last thing is, I think we should all sign our names. And by signing we're agreeing not to tell Umbridge - or anyone - what we're up to."

She passes a piece of paper around and we add our signatures. Hermione rolls it up and tucks it into her bag.

"Right, well, we'll figure out a time and place and let you all know," she says brightly.

I follow George out of the pub, feeling quite excited.

"It's exciting breaking rules," I say. George laughs loudly.

"Oh, my dear Aurelia," he says, "if you only knew."