Doll

"Doll. You called me doll." Becky said softly, her voice quiet.

Brooklyn, New York 1942

"Hey doll."

Becky looked up from her Shirley Temple she'd been sipping through a straw. It was her mate, Bucky, who'd been speaking. She could have recognized his deep husky voice anywhere.

"Hey sugarplum."

She smiled sweetly, her long blonde hair hanging down her back. Bucky sat down in the booth beside her, pecking her cheek.

"All alone again?" He asked with a frown.

"Not at the moment." She said with a giggle.

"Becky, I'm serious. It's dangerous out here so late."

"Hi Serious! I'm Becky Martha Rogers. It's a pleasure." She replied her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Bucky rolled his icy blue gray eyes. "C'mon doll." He pulled her against his chest.

"Right here." She said, gently kissing his lips.

Becky winced, a rush of memories sending a sharp pain to her head. She bit her lip, thinking deeply.

Bucky nodded, his shaggy brown hair covering his face. "You'll always be my doll." He took her hand, intertwining their fingers.

Becky cracked a half smile. "Sugarplum." She said, looking at the juicy plum in her hand. "I used to call you that."

Bucky smiled brightly, nodding his head. "That's right! I remember too." He wanted to kiss her hard and squeeze her rosy cheeks then and there,  but he knew it wasn't the time and would only frighten her and leave her confused.

Becky returned his smile with one of her own. It felt good to smile and be happy for once. It left her feeling all giddy and warm inside.

Steve walked back into the room then, having left to prepare himself to talk to his lost sister. He nodded to Bucky, a hint to leave them alone. Bucky huffed silently and left them.

"Becky I need you to remember for me. Alright?"

"I'm sorry sir... but I don't know you..." She said quietly. Becky remembered all about Bucky. Their first kiss, first date, first laugh, everything. But when it came to Steve, her mind was blank. She couldn't remember her sweet older brother.

Steve only stared at his little sister heartbroken. They'd been so close when they were kids. And now she could barely remember his name.

Brooklyn, New York 1935

"By golly, Steve. That's quite much for you, don't you think?" Becky asked, giggling.

Steve shook his head, determined. He was sure he could ride that roller coaster. Bucky had done it before. Becky too. So could he.

Becky and Steve were strapped in, ready to go after waiting in line for hours. The ride pursued up the hill, Steve biting his lip nervously.

"You okay, Stevie Wonder?" Becky asked with concern laced in her words.

"More than okay. I'm awesome!" He answered, but he himself wasn't so sure.

~ten minutes later~

"Oh Steve..."

Steve had been vomiting into the trash can for the last five minutes. Becky felt horrible, her hand on his shoulder the whole time.

"Let's go home, Steve. I'll make some iced tea."