Chapter 1

It was March 13th, I remeber the day exactly. I pulled my extremely long, blonde hair into a messy pony tail that seemed to sag onto one side of my head awkwardly, just like everything else about me, it was awkward.

Not really caring about what the rest of me looked like I grabbed the keys to my moms old, beaten up chevy and walked out the door. I seemed to follow the same routine every single day, not a thing unplanned or uncalled for. It was just easier that way. Wake up, eat a herb and garlic bagel, go to school, come home, study, ocassionally travel to the local diner for a cup of their famous coffee and then go to sleep. Call me weird or a loner all you want but this is just how I liked it.

When I was younger I lived with my dad and I was one of the most wild, carefree children ever. I was up to try anything and everything and my dad was the best man in the world. He made sure I felt like the sky was not my limit but yet my point of view. On my ninth birthday, everything changed, I was sent to live with my alcholic mother in California and my old life was suddenly slipping away faster than water spiraling down a drain. I lost the one person in my life who made me feel like I wasn't just Mavrick Carter, the girl with the blonde pigtails but Mavrick Carter the girl who could do anything as long as she believed.

I've never told anyone what really happened that day, what I did, why it was my fault I was now completely alone. I swore on that day I would grow up and start acting like an adult and I would never trust the unknown again. I had to make myself invisible. Mission accomplished. Who knows, maybe if I had just carried on I would have told someone but here I am, no one even knows I exist. No one cares, I don't blame them, they all have their own lives and own friends to worry about, plus it's not like I've ever done anyhting to make them notice.

I haven't spoken more than a quick "hello" or a shy "thank you" in the past two years. It's been eight years since the worst day of my life. Wierd eh? Actually not really, you pick up alot when you are silent.

I was now at school and I was walking to my first period math class when I saw him. The new blonde boy from Ireland I've heard all girls gaping about. God they're annoying. He looked tough might I say, stern face, tight leather jacket. I heard he got kicked out of his boarding school for smashing the school windows when the principle told him he had to cover his tatoos. I don't know why but I couldn't look away. He was intimadating but there was just something about him that seemed almost-almost distant, like he was't really all here you know? Like he acts like he has it all together but his mind is somewhere else. I recognized this look because there was a time when it was written on my face as well.

He pushed through the crowds keeping his head down, ignoring the gawks and whispers directed at him. As he walked by me, his eyes met mine for only a brief second and I saw something unrecognizable. It wasn't a smile that played on his lips but yet I could sense he saw something when he looked at me. And the worst part, I didn't know what it was.

It gave me this uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomache. It was the first time anyone had even partially acknowledged me in the past few months. It made me extremely uncomfortable.

I quickly dropped my gaze and walked the opposite way of the boy, even though my math class was on the other side of the school and I would now probably be late.

I walked into the bathroom where a small group of girls were huddled around the mirror trying to perfect their caked on make-up. They were whispering about something and K suddenly grew interested.

"Soph, have you seen the new boy yet? Ugh his name is Niall Horan like I mean how hot is that?"

"Yeah I saw him this morning and he is fine, I mean he will obviously fall in love with me, its inevitable, everyone falls in love with Sophie Clarke. I need a little excitement in my life right now anyways."

The girls started to giggle as they waltzed out of the bathroom, their abnormally tall high heels being audible through the halls. How repulsive. Thats the exact type of thing that gives girls a bad stereotype that they can't do anything. It really does disgust me.

I left the bathroom and decided it was to late to go to my math class since I late anyways, so I decided to go sit outside in the courtyard where I seem to spend alot of my time lately. It's perfect. Quiet, peaceful, normally vacated, and it had a great view of the city considering Cal High was located on a high altitude.

I made my way out the front doors and headed around the back of the school. When I got to the courtyard I realized, today, I wasn't the only one there. Across the courtyard at the last table sat Niall Horan. Great. I made sure I kept my head down and didn't make eye contact as I quickly sat at the table farthest away from his.

I pulled out my favourite book which was the story of Romeo and Juliet. Call me a nerd but I must have read this book ten times over. I've always found it so intriguing what two young and in love teenagers will do for love, even when they hardly know each other.

As I flipped the page I quickly glanced up to see that the boy across the court yard was staring at me intently which made me even more uncomfortable. What was he even looking at? I wasn't much of a sight.

I pretended I didn't notice and flipped another page of my book.

After another ten minutes of page flipping and Niall staring at me, he got up and started my way. Oh god, please no. All I thought was don't make eye contact and maybe he'll keep walking, he can't come over here. Then being my stupid self, I looked up.

* * *

A/N: Hey my beautiful lumps!! So what do you think?? I really hope you like this so far because there is alot in store for this book :))) Please vote comment and keep being fabulous because I love you all more than life so yeah, ILY

-Carlee <3