chapter 17

A.N.

so sorry that it is short and it's been so long since i updated last. well here's chapter 17. hope you like it.

:Reminder:

            “You silly boy. You need to check your bank account. I’m being generous today. Do not make me regret it.” With that he hung up. I stared at my phone in my hand and watched as the caller ID screen went back to my home screen. I can’t believe what just happened, but I had to see if he was telling the truth. I turned on the free wifi from the hospital and logged into my bank account. As I waited for the browser page to load I thought about the woman up in that room. She’s an angel in human form. She’s perfection. My chest ached as I thought of her future. I shook my head to clear it and looked down at my phone. I almost dropped it. I put my hand over my mouth and crouched down, still staring at my phone.

There were seven zeros after that four in the beginning.

He gave me 40 million dollars.

Jonathon’s POV:

I felt almost uneasy about all that money, but I decided that I am going to take Cara out tonight and then leave in the morning. I don’t know how I am going to convince her to come with me and bring her brother. I turned off the wifi and walked back to the elevator. When I walked out of the elevator’s confined spaces I saw Cara at Maria’s doorway. She had tears in her eyes and her arms were crossed over her chest. My own ached for her. He was a mean man and I had no idea what he wanted with her. All I know is that a month ago, he told me about his “obsession”, so to speak. I sighed deeply and rubbed the space above my heart. I walked up to her and she didn’t even notice me at first. I waved my hand in front of her face and she blinked and wiped away her tears. She took out her notebook and a pen.

‘Visiting hours is over, but I can’t seem to leave.’ I took the notebook from her and the pen.

‘Do you want to go get food?’ Her hands shook when she took the notebook from me. She read it and then she nodded while putting the book and pen back into her purse. We started walking and I tried taking her hand but she removed her hand from mine and crossed her arms over her chest. Fresh tears were flowing down her cheeks.

We walked past the nurse that we saw when we first came in. She waved at us and I smiled at her. Cara didn’t notice her. The emotion that flashed on the nurse’s face was of heartbreak. She probably thought that they were sisters or even cousins. She didn’t know the whole story. I wish I could ease Cara’s pain but there’s no comforting her right now, not while her mind is wherever it is. When we got outside to the above ground parking lot, I had to rub my chest again because the pressure from that ache she brings out in me. I got into the driver’s seat and drove to her apartment. I sighed when I had to literally take her out of the car and practically drag her up the front stairs. I’m going to take her to somewhere special. I know that she probably wouldn’t want to go but I need to get her mind off of everything that is going on and get herself out of her head so that she can finally relax. Once we got into the elevator, she sagged against me and looked utterly broken. I hugged her close and rubbed her back in circles. We stayed like that until the doors opened on the 12th floor and a little old lady got in. She smiled at us and Cara stepped away from me. She stood in the corner behind me.

“I seemed to have gotten off on the wrong floor.” The elderly woman said. She was clutching her purse in her hand and a cane in the other.

“What floor do you need ma’am?” I asked, offering to press the desired button.

“16th please. Oh you’re such a nice boy. I have a granddaughter that is around your age. She’s terrific. She’s studying to become a doctor.” I smiled and press the button and stepped back again. The old woman stared at the doors for a second or two and sighed. Then she turned toward me and smiled, while saying,

“I have a granddaughter your age. She’s going to become a doctor.” I smiled back at her and motioned to Cara behind me,

“That’s lovely ma’am but I already have a girlfriend.” Cara’s eyes narrowed slightly, and I just winked at her. The elderly woman just “tsk’d” at me and waved a hand.

Just then the doors opened again on the 16th floor and the woman smiled and walked out. After the doors shut, I could feel Cara’s eyes on me. I turned around and signed,

‘I only said that so that she wouldn’t try to set me up with her granddaughter.’

‘But you could have at least warned me.’