Chapter Thirty-Two

This may be the last update for awhile. I think my laptop picked up a virus somewhere and it's giving me a fit. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Rick rounded the corner as he made his way back to his cell, but stopped suddenly when he noticed Carl standing ahead of him, staring at him. He kneeled down, gesturing for his son to come to him. ''What's wrong?'' he asked, seeing the sadness in his eyes.

Carl hesitantly walked over, but stayed a few feet away from him. ''What happened between you and mom? Your stuff isn't in the cell...'' he trailed off.

Rick sighed, resting his fingers on his nose for a moment as he looked at the floor. ''It doesn't matter. You wouldn't understand anyway.... It's okay, this is my new cell,'' he pointed.

Carl crossed his arms, giving him a glare. ''You didn't answer my question.''

Rick chuckled a little, trying to buy himself a little time. ''I don't have to. I'm your dad, which means I'm not required to answer every question you may have.''

''Yeah, you are. That's what parents are for,'' Carl argued, crossing his arms even tighter to show him that he wasn't playing games. It probably wouldn't work, but it was worth a shot.

Rick raised his eyebrows a little, nodding as he stared off into space. ''We got into an argument, and I moved out,'' he paused a moment, looking back at Carl. ''Your mom tossed my things out, and I moved to another cell,'' he corrected himself.

Carl shifted his weight a little, unsure what to say. ''So...what was the argument about?'' he asked. He already knew what had happened. Maggie and Beth had mumbled on about it all day, thinking he hadn't overheard. However, he wanted to hear it from his dad.

''That my business, not yours. Okay?''

Carl grumbled something, but nodded. ''Does this mean we can't do anything together anymore?''

Rick frowned. ''Of course not. Just because your mother and I don't get along, doesn't mean I'm going to forget about you or love you any less. We can still do things together...even if it's just walking the yard,'' he smiled a little. It wasn't the first time he and Lori had argued and stopped talking to each other. It just hadn't ended up like this before...though this time it was his fault.

Carl nodded, smiling a little back at him. He hated that his parents weren't together anymore...if that's what you'd call it, but as long as he got to spend time with both of them like before it wouldn't be such a big deal. After all, they fought all the time before the apocalypse, so it was nothing new to him.

''Now give me a hug, let's get you back to your mom before I have to hear about it,'' Rick chuckled a little.

Carl walked up and hugged him, nodding.  This was the first time he had really talked to his dad in weeks without interruptions.

Rick stood up and walked over to Lori's cell, ensuring Carl when on in. He didn't want him wandering around the prison even if every door that lead outside was locked up.

Lori looked up as Carl entered, noticing that Rick was behind him. She stood up and leaned in the doorway, slipping her wedding ring off her finger. She eyed him a moment before she handed the ring to him. ''I don't need it anymore.''

Rick looked down at the ring, which brought many memories back to him. He rolled it around in his hand for a second before Lori continued speaking.

''How did you do it?'' Lori asked, pausing a moment. ''How did you just wake up one day and decide I wasn't important to you anymore?''

Rick slipped the ring into his pocket, looking back up at her. ''You are important. Always will be. Wouldn't have married you otherwise,'' he replied tersely.