Chapter Ten

It's a bit better than the last chapter, I'm sorry if you find it boring.

''Ready?'' Rick asked, looking over to his friend. They had decided to go ahead and search the high school for any supplies. Shane had said it didn't appear that there were many walkers inside, but they wouldn't know until they got there. He was only going with Shane and Merle, they had decided it wouldn't be safe to bring a larger group and risk lives. Daryl wasn't too happy about his brother running off with them, but he shrugged it off. Merle could take care of himself, and it was easy to see.

''Yeah, I'm set,'' Shane replied, grabbing a few bullets and loaded his rifle. They had two guns and a knife each, so he figured they were pretty well off for the time being. He didn't know Merle well, but he didn't expect this to go well. He saw the way Merle acted, and he wasn't exactly the nicest guy on the block. Rick had insisted that he come along, though, he guessed it was just because he had military experience.

''Let's get this show on the road, ain't got all day,'' Merle mumbled, holding a gun in his hand. They were going on foot, though he wasn't too happy about that. He wasn't sure why he was going in the first place, but he was ready for some action. It took things off his mind.

''Take care of everyone, Glenn,'' Rick nodded in his direction, ''We won't be gone too long. If anything happens, I'd like to think you all can take care of each other,'' he mumbled under his breath, kissing Lori quickly. ''Don't worry,'' he said, seeing the fear in her eyes. He backed up and walked out the back exit, waiting for Shane and Merle to follow his lead. Well, this would sure as hell be interesting.

''I will, don't worry about it. Don't get yourself killed out there,'' Glenn said, taking his seat back at the window to keep watch.

Merle walked out, smirking a bit when he caught a glimpse of a hatchet leaning against the building. Hey, why not make this fun? He picked it up quickly and followed behind the other two.

''It's about 5 miles from here. Like I said, it's small,'' Shane said, keeping his eye out for Merle who was right behind him. He didn't trust the guy, period. He played it off as if he was a good guy, but Shane knew deep down that wasn't the case. They'd probably see some of his true colors today. He figured he had always played it safe because of his brother.

''Alright, we're ready. Locked and loaded,'' Rick chuckled, following beside his friend into the woods. They were near a road, but thought it would be safest to stick out into the woods so they wouldn't be very noticeable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

''Might not be as easy as you thought, officer,'' Merle said, looking through the chain link fence. There were about 25 walkers alone just in the parking lot. It would be a piece of cake if they had the others, but it was only the three of them.

''Never said it would be. Shut it before you give us away,'' Rick spat, trying to think of a plan. They'd have to jump the fence, that was obvious. The opening was on the far side of the school, and they didn't need to waste that kind of time.

''There's the front door. Straight shot,'' Shane pointed, flicking the safety off of his gun. ''Jump the fence, take a few shots each. Get in, get out. We can do this,'' he reassured Rick, who seemed to be doubting himself. He understood why: because he had a wife and son back at the apartments. This world was all about taking risks and doing whatever they had to survive now, and he believed they could handle it.

''Hell with it, let's get this shit done!'' Merle complained impatiently. ''For two cops, you two are fuckin' idiots!'' he spat, throwing the hatchet over the fence and jumped over it himself. The sound of the hatchet hitting the pavement had now drawn the attention of all the walkers, and they were now stumbled, or dragging themselves towards the fence.