Chapter Fifteen

''Have the other cellblocks cleaned out yet, Hershall?'' Rick asked, figuring they could help the guy out. Might as well make sure they had plenty of extra room just incase.

''The two towards the back out the prison aren't. We didn't clean them out because we didn't know what to expect. Didn't want to risk it, between the four of us. I'm not getting any younger,'' Hershall replied, looking to the man. ''I'd appreciate it you'd take care of it.''

''Alright, anyone want to come along? Can't be too crowded, I'm sure,'' Rick said, pulling out a knife from his cell before he walked back in the cafeteria, waiting on an answer.

''I'll go with you. Been awhile since it was just the two of us,'' Sarah stepped up, hoping to make herself useful for once ever since she joined the group. The men usually left the women to clean, which she didn't appreciate. She could do more than play house.

''Be careful out there,'' Lori said, sitting down beside Andrea at one of the tables. They often spent 90 percent of their day there, at least the women did.

''Alright, then. Let's go,'' Rick said, walking over to Lori quickly. ''We will be. Don't worry about us,'' he said, kissing her on the forehead before he swung open the door and walked inside.

Lori nodded, smiling as the two walked out. It was new to see those two getting along, knowing that they hadn't always seen eye to eye. They never hated each other, but sometimes it had been hard for them to tolerate each other in the same room. Maybe the fact that Sarah had found Rick wandering the streets had brought them closer together. She hoped, at least.

Sarah shut the door behind them, following Rick down the hall way. ''Haven't had a problem with the fence since Shane found the hole, huh?'' she asked.

''It's getting worse. Bigger. Boarding it up doesn't help much, the next day the wood is laying on the ground. Doesn't appear to be walkers doing that kind of damage, though. That's what I'm worried about,'' Rick replied.

''Guess we need to figure it out before something or someone gets into the prison, that's the last thing we need. Especially with the kids and another one the way, '' Sarah said, though in was a no-brainer. Hey, a conversation was better than silence no matter what the subject was or how stupid it was.

''I know, I think we'll have to take turns keeping night watch. That's all we can do,'' Rick said, preparing to open the door to another cell block. Though, he couldn't get Sarah's voice out of his head long enough to think. Why in the name of hell had he asked someone to volunteer?  

''Yeah, that's a good idea,'' Sarah said, frowning at his expression. ''It's not the time to daydream, Rick. We have a job to do,'' she said, unable to hide her small smirk.

''Oh, sorry,'' Rick said, not realizing it had been that obvious. He glanced back at her, ensuring that she was ready. He slung open the large door, not at all surprised to find a group of walkers waiting at the doorway. He took his knife to the skulls of a few, cursing a bit when blood splattered onto his face. It almost made him feel like he would turn, despite the fact he hadn't been scratched or bit. It was a weird concept.

Sarah joined him, taking her hatchet to their skulls. To be honest, she loved hacking away at their rotting bodies. She guessed the rush of adrenaline was the reason she enjoyed it so much. Everyone loved adrenaline, right?

Rick stepped over the bodies, kicking them first to ensure that they were dead. Didn't need to get bit over his own stupidity. He walked over to the right and searched each cell, nothing but a few dead walkers in them. It was obvious that those had been dead awhile, a few weeks at least. He wondered how some could survive so long locked up without food, that was only one of the many questions they had.