Chapter One

Sorry it's short guys, I'm new at this. Hope you like it!

 Carl yawned as he flipped through the channels on the TV. He wasn't really paying any attention, because he was too busy worrying about his father who had gotten shot a couple days ago and was still in the hospital. He was still in coma, but the doctors had faith that he would wake up soon.

His dad was a police officer, and of course, got shot down on the job. His best friend, Shane, stayed by his side all the way to the hospital before informing his mom and himself.  It had been a shock to them all.

Carl shook away his thoughts when he realized Shane had just burst through the door. He never came in like that, not without a good reason. Heck, he hadn't even called. ''Everything okay?'' Carl asked, praying it didn't have to do with his dad.

Shane ignored his question as he glanced around the house, ''Where's your mom? I need to speak with her,'' he blurted out quickly. Well, he was sure in a rush today.

''In her room, I think. Is everything okay?'' Carl asked again, frowning slightly as he walked over to him.

''It's alright, bud. Don't worry about it,'' he said, ruffling the boy's hair slightly before heading towards her bedroom. He knocked, but didn't wait for an answer.

Lori looked up from her book, surprised to find Shane at the doorway. ''Everything okay?'' she asked, putting down the book and leaned against the head board of the bed as she did so. Surely he would've called if something had happened to Rick, right? It wasn't like him to storm into the house.

''No, everything is not okay. There's rumors that a new virus broke out. Reports came through saying there were dead people walking around the streets. Some say it's zombies, and some don't know,'' he jumbled up his words slightly, trying to think what else to say. This was insane, a zombie apocalypse?

''So, what are we suppose to do about it? There's a cure, right?'' she asked, frowning again as she tried to take this all in. Zombies were definitely dangerous, so what were they suppose to do now?

''They're working on it, but haven't found anything yet. Everyone is being told to head out to Atlanta. It's safe, and there's lots of supplies and food. It's our best bet, I don't know what else to do,'' Shane paused another moment.

''Pack your things quickly, we can't risk waiting any longer. T-dog is heading out here now to take you and Carl to Atlanta. I'm going to the hospital to see if the patients are being transferred to another hospital and I'll meet y'all out there once I grab some guns and ammo back at the station. T-dog will take care of you. I'm sure someone will figure something out, but don't expect to be returning home anytime soon, if at all,'' he said.

Lori nodded, grabbing a bag from her closet. Leaving behind her house, and everything she knew, was going to be hard. However, hey didn't have a choice.

''Keep him safe,'' she whispered, knowing Shane knew exactly who she was referring to: Rick. Her husband. They hadn't been on the best terms the morning he had been shot, and she'd hate to think of what would happen if she never got the chance to apologize.

''Carl, pack your things. I'll explain later,'' Lori called from her room as she stuffed clothes into her bag.

Carl nodded and watched Shane walk out, wondering what in the world was going on. Why did they have to pack, and where were they going? So much was going through his head at the moment, and he thought he may very well explode.

Turning, he immediately headed towards his room. Pulling clothes from his closet and dresser, he sighed a little to himself. Something was wrong, and he could feel it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later T-dog arrived and helped the two pile their things in the back on his van. He had been a friend of Rick's for a long time, and was more than happy to watch after the two. He smirked slightly at Carl's expression. Lori must've explained it to him before he arrived. ''We'll figure this out,'' he said, starting the car as the two hopped into the van.

''Thanks for doing this, T-dog. We really appreciate it,'' Lori said, figuring the nod of his head meant that it hadn't been a problem. She looked down at her necklace, running her finger around the edge of Rick's wedding ring. She had taken it when he was put into the hospital just in case, and she was glad she did.

They had a long journey ahead of them, that was for certain.