Chapter 7: A Tempting Escape

Start from the beginning

* * *

Silver's eyes shot open suddenly, pain striking through her left side followed by a strange sparking sound. She leapt up with a yelp, tripping over her nest and rolling away from whatever the thing causing her pain was. The dragoness got to her feet; spreading her wings and snarling, ready to strike down whatever was attacking her. However, when she found that nothing was there, she lowered her wings, a frown forming over her muzzle.

An abrupt shower of sparks suddenly leapt out of the wall, causing her to once again yelp in surprise. The sparks scatted over her nest, bouncing off and onto the floor harmlessly. She blinked, that was strange. Padding cautiously over to where the sparks had come from she realised that the metallic pipe that went through the back of her stable had been cut open, revealing several severed wires inside. Every time a pulse of electricity went through it, sparks shot out. Silver snorted. A.O.D.H was getting sloppy.

She turned around and walked back to her nest. She bit down on the metal edge and dragged it out of range of the sparks before curling herself back up. She was too tired to really care about that at the moment. She wanted to sleep. Her eyes were about to drift closed when an idea suddenly hit her, causing her to jolt back awake. She glanced back at the sparking wires, a small grin forming on her muzzle. A.O.D.H was certainly getting sloppy.

She got up out of her nest and walked over to the cut wires. Metal ran down her sides and legs, coating her in the elronium shell. If this worked... if this worked she would be free again. Taking a deep breath she placed her tail against the electrical circuits. Almost instantly she felt a jolt of electricity surge through her shell, causing her to gasp. It had been a long time since she had last used this power, and she hoped she would be able to control it like before.

Gritting her teeth she forced the electricity running through her body upwards into the general area where the device was fixated to her head. A strange whirring came from it as it struggled to encumber the sudden surge of energy. After a couple of moments it failed, the whirring dying down until it was no more. At first Silver wondered if it had indeed worked, as the strange fog that had invaded her mind with the device was still very much there.

Lifting up her tail she gently touched the device, and it moved. A fierce grin swept across her muzzle and she hit it with her tail. The sound of metal against metal rang through the cage and the device fell to the floor. She looked at it, as if making sure it was really true. It didn't feel like it was... but the device was sitting dead on the floor. She reached up and tapped the point where it had been on her head with her tail. There was a little bit of blood, but other then that she was free. A small shiver of excitement went through her. It shouldn't have been possible.

Taking a shuddering breath she returned her shell to normal and walked hesitantly over to the prison bars, forming a blade with her tail. She swiped down on the bars, nothing stopping her, and it cut through the weak iron and steel easily. Another swipe, another cut and a hole fell away, leaving just enough room for the dragoness to squeeze through.

Once she was out of the stable she looked around the hallway wearily. No guards, no humans anywhere. She wasn't surprised; there rarely were any humans around at this time of night. The devices worked very well in keeping a dragon trapped. Slowly she began to move, walking lightly along the hallway. She was still feeling a little tired and exhausted, but her excitement pushed that away.

As she walked she looked at the dragons around her, still sleeping in their cages, and hesitated. She couldn't just leave them behind, but if she tried to rescue them then there was a far more likely chance of someone showing up and seeing them. If they managed to get word out that Silver was free, she doubted she would make it far. Gritting her teeth she looked around. She wanted out, she really did, but she had to at least try and rescue the others.