[ Vocaloid ] Smile (Hatsune Miku x male!Reader)

A/N: Requested by @TheaDeborahGuinyaoan ! Sorry for the wait, and I hope this is story will be up to your expectations!

She hesitates at the doorway, her hand reaching out for the doorknob, yet trying to avoid it all the same. Her shoulders shake; her teal hair hangs over her eyes like an uneven curtain at the angle she holds her head at. Hatsune Miku isn't as much as a mess than her friends made her out to be, but despite her optimistic attitude, she was secretly breaking down inside.

From inside the room separated from her by the door, a cough resounds. It's a male voice, one that she heard so many times over the past. She knew how he sounded like when he laughed, when he talked, when he smiled, when he whispered. But throughout the sixteen years of their friendship, she hadn't heard him cry once.

She didn't want to.

You want to see (Name)-kun, don't you? She tries to reason herself, It's been so long since you've spoken to him. Why are you chickening out now?

But then she remembers his illness, and how it had slowly drained him of his health and vigor. Doctors had given (Name) medication at first, and for a while, everyone was led to believing that he was going to be fine, that it was just a mild sickness that was going to go away in a matter of days.

It wasn't.

One day, he collapsed. Miku remembered the horrifying moment when the (hair colour) male had suddenly fell over, limp like a puppet whose strings were cut by a pair of razor sharp scissors. The shock of the situation made her hands shake so much that it made calling the ambulance almost impossible.

All the while, as he coughed until his own voice was hoarse, Miku could tell that he was struggling desperately to stop coughing. She could sense the hatred he was feeling for himself; but why? Why was he so angry with himself for? Or was he angry at her, for being so useless and pathetic? Just thinking about that possibility made her shoulders shake and her heart clench up with grief. No, of all people, she didn't want you to hate her....

Suddenly, the door opens, and her thoughts are forced to come to a halt as a young girl comes out from the room.

"Oh, Miku-senpai, what are you doing here?"

It's (Name)'s younger sister Yuki, looking as innocent and child-like as she always does. Her chocolate-coloured eyes are warm and round; Miku can see her reflection in them, and for a moment, she is taken aback by the image of the shaken girl reflected to her.

"Have you come to visit onii-chan?" Yuki looks excited, peering up at Miku with that child-like innocence that simply makes the teenager want to throw all thoughts of escaping away and just obey Yuki's words.

"Y-yes, I am," she says. The little girl sends her a smile so bright that she seems to drown out the hospital lights for a brief moment.

"Really?! Yay! Onii-chan's going to be so happy!" With that, she grabs Miku's wrist, and pulls her into the hospital room.

"H-hey! W-wait a second--!" Miku began, but she abruptly stops talking. Her words seem to fail to escape her throat the moment she meets your gaze.

You send her one of your trademark smiles, and with a small laugh, you wave at her as you call her name, so softly yet with such a lingering sense of relief that fills Miku's heart with unwanted nostalgia. She wants to run to you, to be pulled into your usual embrace, but the moment she catches sight of you as a whole, she can't seem to tear her eyes away from you; the transformation you had undergone was massive! You were so thin now, and even as you sat there, leaned against the hospital pillows with a book rested on your lap, you just looked lethargic and weary. The smile on your face suddenly looks a lot less genuine, and with unwanted shock, Miku is forced to look at you in the eye.