Hospitals

Josh's POV

Tyler's family, Jenna and I all waited for the one of the doctors to tell us we could go see Ty or tell us what was wrong. We'd been waiting for twenty minutes at the least, and we hadn't even seen a nurse walk out of his room. 

"What do you think happened?" Mady whispered to me and Jenna.

We both looked at each other before Jenna spoke. "We're not 100 percent sure. All we know is that he couldn't focus and seemed to be numb in a sense." 

Mady nodded and looked back at the TV. It wasn't playing anything worth watching, but at least it was a way to pass the time.

A few hours later, a doctor finally left Tyler's room and came to talk to his parents. They talked for a few minutes, then the doctor left. His parents then came back to where the rest of us were sitting and explained the situation. 

"The doctor said that there was a problem with one of Tyler's medications and he had a bad reaction to it which is why he zoned out and wouldn't respond to us." His dad, Chris, explained. "He's going to be here at least a week until they can figure out which medication caused this and they can find a substitute for it."

"Until then, you guys should go home and get some rest." His mom, Kelly, said, gesturing to Jenna and I. "And we should get you kids home too." She gestured to her kids now.

Jenna and I nodded and headed for the exit. "What time are visiting hours?" I asked.

"9 o'clock until 7 o'clock." Kelly answered.

I nodded again and went with Jenna to my car.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

After school, Jenna and I went straight to the hospital to give Tyler his homework and see how he was doing.

We quickly went to the front desk and asked for his room number. When we got to Ty's room, we knocked and waited for some kind of response. The door swung open a few seconds later, and his mom walked out. 

"How is he?" Jenna asked.

"Better than last night, but he's still not focusing properly. You can go in and see him if you want, but he probably won't respond." Kelly said, walking to the seating area.

We slowly walked into Tyler's room and set his homework on the table beside him. 

"Hey, how're you doing?" I asked, taking a seat at the foot of his bed. 

All Tyler did was stare ahead blankly like he did last night. 

"Hey," Jenna said, resting her hand on his arm which got a small response. All he did was look at her, but it's better than him just staring ahead; even though it was still a blank stare. "can you hear us?"

Tyler didn't move his gaze from Jenna, but spoke barely any louder than a whisper. "Sort of."

Jenna and I exchanged an excited look before we tried asking him another basic question. 

"Do you know where you are?" I asked. 

Tyler looked around the room slowly and faced me. "Maybe."

"Are you feeling any better?" Jenna asked with a growing grin.

"Still numb." 

"Do you know when you'll be able to leave?" 

He slowly shook his head, then went back to blankly staring past us. We took this as a sign to leave, but we told Kelly what happened first. 

"Are you serious?" She asked, getting almost as excited as we were. 

"Yes!" Jenna exclaimed.

"That's great! They might let him out earlier if he continues like this!" 

"Have they found out which medication's causing all of this?" I asked.

Kelly shook her head. "Not yet. They're cutting him off from a few and seeing if that helps, and if that doesn't do anything they'll try cutting back on some other ones." 

"Do you know if he'll be able to leave early yet?" Jenna asked, worry spreading across her face.

"No, not yet." She frowned.

Jenna and I nodded and excused ourselves.

"It doesn't really make sense that Ty would have a reaction to medication he's taken pretty much his whole life out of the blue like that.." Jenna mumbled once we were out of the hospital.

"No, it doesn't.." I hadn't really thought much of this while thing, but now that Jenna pointed it out and I actually thought about it, I realized she was right. Even if this was some kind if bad reaction, it wouldn't do this.

"Its got to be something else... There's no way this could be some kind reaction to the meds.."

"It could be a reaction, but maybe there's something else going on in his head that's keeping him distant."

We threw ideas back and forth for a long time. All of them were plausible, but didn't really make a lot of sense with the situation. We jumped back to some things we'd been through with Tyler that were kind of similar to what was going on.

Tyler's zoned out around us before and just said it was the voices fighting, but when that happened before he wasn't calm like he is now. Before he'd been tense and almost panicky, not like the calm, numb way he acted now.

Jenna and I went back to my place to keep throwing ideas at each other because not only was it fun, but it was a way to keep us from worrying about Tyler.