Chapter 3

The Ministry building in Vienna rivaled London's in both size and grander. Gargoyles hung above horrified by the scene below. They were perched on the various towers adorning the tops. The wreckage had been cleared allowing traffic to move once again. People still gawked at the scarred remains of the old building where cinder and stone had been flung like projectiles. Streaks of ash and sulfur stains still charred the buildings around the hollow husked remains. Damien stood in front, taking in the scene, standing next to a younger looking man dressed in grey.

"We had no idea until it was too late," said the younger man. "The first explosion struck me to the ground. The second was even worse, but one of the guards managed to get me out of the building before then."

Damien paused resting his hand on the shoulder of the younger man. Losses were inevitable in this type of work, yet it never made it easier to accept.

"There was nothing you could have done to prevent it, Noah," said Damien.

"There's always something that can be learnt."

A smirk appeared on Damien's face. So much of his father was present in Noah, even in the way he spoke. The two walked past various scientists and workers still inspecting the site. Splayed coils jutted from the broken walls reaching outwards for help. Noah and Damien ducked underneath leaning beams of light which guided them further into the branch.

"Only one wing of the building was struck," said Noah.

"Which wing was that?"

"You'll see."

Noah moved in front of Damien taking the lead. They went down steps where the smell of electrical fire mixed with coagulated steam. The acrid scent grew thicker and both men covered their mouths with handkerchiefs attempting to thwart the stench. The stairs ended diverging off to the left and right. Smears covered the once vibrant placards denoting where the two pathways led, yet Noah immediately charged left. Damien followed passing more destroyed tubing for steam and electricity.

Guards awaited Noah allowing both he and Damien to pass with relative ease. Curious glances shifted back and forth between the two uniformed sentries the dark cloaked stranger passed between them.

"Don't mind them. You know how Austrians think so highly of the British."

"Always quick with the sarcasm, Noah."

The room they were in was lined with giant coils topped with perfectly spherical bulbs. Workers moved about carrying large sheets of crumpled metal, dismantling the damaged objects in the process.

"What is this place?" said Damien.

"A few years ago, we enlisted the help of some scientists on a project. A rather large project I should add."

"What was it?"

"The usual; research on better airships than the ones we have now."

"How many people know about the project?"

Noah took off his hat rubbing the bridge of his nose as if to alleviate the bitter reality before them.

"That's the thing; only a small number knew. Whoever did this...."

"You assume it was someone from the Ministry?"

"I'm just open. I'm as lost as you are, Damien." Damien nodded and walked to one of the bulbs prodding it with his finger while Noah spoke to one of the workers. The metal resonated with a soft, melodic hum. His finger nail was the pick tapping the notes. The same brass lining wrapped around the sphere while other tubes funneled into the base of the object. A clear liquid pooled near a broken tube which led downwards to levels below. He knelt to touch it and was surprised by the thinness of it. Water, he thought to himself. He took a sample of the substance in a small vile. Water and electricity?

Damien walked back to Noah who was finishing with the worker he was speaking to. He held up the vile to Noah's face wagging it back and forth.

"What aren't you telling me Noah?" said Damien.

Noah pulled him aside, a frown stained his face. The workers looked their direction as their numbers started to dwindle. Only drips of water chimed parting the cold silence.

"I'm not supposed to tell you."

"We're part of the same team."

"No, we're not."

Noah walked backwards and the hair on the back of Damien's neck stood on end. The air was full of magnetic pressure flooding the room, swirling about like a tornado. The push and pull was too familiar. Three separate bodies materialized from the feet up piecing together the traveler's like a puzzle. The two women and one man dressed in grey coats held menacing batons. The leather of their gloves clicked as their hands tightened around their weapons.

"I'm sorry, Damien," said Noah.

His three assailants rushed with silent ferocity as sharp steel unsheathed from the batons they held. Damien dropped his hat to the ground. It floated softly landing in synch with the toll of a lock clicking shut.

"No," said Damien. "I'm the one who's sorry."