advanced

REYNA SAT QUIETLY at her table, absentmindedly twirling her straw around inside her cup. She was waiting on Sebastian to arrive, but part of her wished he would just stay away. He wanted to know what was going on with her, but Reyna didn't want to talk about it, especially because it was so horribly difficult for her to come to terms with what was going on herself. In a single instant her life had been changed and it definitely was not for the better. It was as if the world was hellbent on making her suffer and she despised it. She had had enough pain and tears to last a lifetime; she didn't think she needed anymore.

The familiar chime from the coffee shop door sounded, but Reyna didn't look up from her drink long enough to see who it was. She was still busy twirling her straw around when someone sat down across from her, that someone being Sebastian. Reyna looked up at him, let out a sigh, and looked back down at her drink, earning a frown from Sebastian.

"Reyna," he spoke as if to avert her attention to him.

Reyna's gaze remained on her drink, though she responded. She believed the best way to tell him what he wanted to know was to just to do it; she wouldn't hold back. "I have to go home, Sebastian."

"What, why?" Sebastian asked, his tone slightly startled. "Are you homesick, Rey? I can take some time off and we can go back for a little bit if you want to?"

"No," Reyna said quickly, the mention of homesick unsettling her slightly. "I mean home as in home."

Sebastian furrowed his brows in confusion. "Congers?"

Reyna only nodded. She was afraid her voice would give away her emotions, though the tears welling up in her eyes seemed to be doing a fairly excellent job of doing so on their own.

"Why, Reyna?"

As Reyna thought back on her reasons, a nauseating feeling erupted inside her. She pushed her drink away from her and sat back in her seat, crossing her arms over her chest. "My dad."

"What about your dad, Reyna?" Sebastian asked as he grew to be more worried.

Reyna met Sebastian's eyes. "When we were at the hotel last weekend, I was texting my mom's phone. It was about two in the morning and I was just feeling really, really horrible about the whole Chase situation. I couldn't sleep at all because of everything on my mind, so when your mom called me at three in the morning I was confused, but also a bit happy to have someone to talk to. Then she told me she was at the hospital with my dad and that freaked me out. Apparently that night he had trouble falling asleep; he couldn't breathe, so he called and asked your mom to come over because he thought it was nothing. Then he started coughing up blood and he collapsed and she called an ambulance. Turns out that he has lung cancer and it's advanced, very advanced."

Sebastian let out a sigh and ran a hand over his face, unsure of what to make of the information he just received. "Why didn't you tell me, Rey?"

"Because I didn't know how to," Reyna's voice cracked as she tried to contain her emotions.

"What about my mom? Why didn't she tell me?"

"I asked her not to, please don't be mad at me," Reyna squeaked as the tears welled up in her eyes.

Sebastian shook his head and got up from his seat, moving to sit down beside Reyna. He pulled her to his side, wrapping both of his arms tightly around her. "I'm not mad at you, baby. But it's okay, Rey; he's gonna be okay."

Reyna squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head. "No, he won't; the doctors said he won't even make it to my birthday."

"That's less than two months away, Reyna," Sebastian mused with a frown on his face.

"I know," Reyna forced out through her tears. "What am I gonna do?"

"You're gonna go home and you're gonna be with him, okay?" Sebastian told her. "I'm gonna order you a plane ticket and I'm gonna go back to the condo and pack up your stuff for you, and when I can convince Joe and Anthony to let me off for a while, I'm gonna come down there and be with you both."

Reyna sniffed and squeezed him tighter. "What about the kids?"

"They can stay with Ryan and Blake."

"Just promise me you'll make it down, okay? I need you there with me," Reyna said to him.

"I promise," Sebastian replied as he pressed a gentle kiss to the top of her head. "I'm always gonna be there, drăguţă."

_______________

NOT AS EMOTIONAL AS I INTENDED BECAUSE I REALLY DIDN'T FEEL LIKE CRYING TODAY OMG