Chapter 8

Ariella

"You're finally home." Thomas's voice carried down the hall and into the room. I picked my head up from Robert's bed and stared at the door, waiting for it to be thrown open and my parents barging in.

"Finally." My father grunted.

"Where's Ariella?" My mother asked.

"In bed." Robert stated in a hushed voice. "It's been a long day for her."

"It's been a long day for all of us." Brittney added.

Silence fell and I laid my head back on the pillows, wrapping the blankets tighter around my body. I stared into the darkness, waiting for some sort of noise to let me know if they were coming to get me.

"The queen told you everything?" Robert broke the silence after a few moments.

A bitter laugh responded.

"She did." My father grunted. "I can't believe that they abused my own daughter."

"I can't believe they did it knowing that she could Heal." My mother's voice was filled with disgust. "It's bad enough that they abused our baby, which is more than enough to make me want to hunt them down and kill them."

"Hello, mama bear." Thomas interrupted and his comment was followed by a couple laughs.

"Oh, shush." My mother grumbled, earning a few more chuckles. "The fact is, if the people find out about this, we're not the only ones who would be out for blood."

"To be honest, I'm not even worried about the people." My father stated. "I'm worried about Ariella."

"I am too!" My mother exclaimed. "I'm worried about everything. What if she never Heals?"

"You mean the people in the hospital?" Brittney questioned.

"They mean Ariella." Robert interrupted. "Our Power is a part of us and, denying it, can lead to detrimental repercussions."

"Exactly." My mother sighed bitterly. "The fact is, if Ariella's to afraid to use her Power-"

"Then she faces the possibility of that Power turning on her." My father explained.

"It's the Power of Healing, it can't do any harm!" Thomas shouted.

"Shush!" Someone hissed.

"It wouldn't be like our mom's or Brittney's Power. It wouldn't destroy everyone around them, but it could still kill Ariella." Robert said.

Silence fell once more.

I quietly pushed myself up into a sitting position and stared down at my hands. Is it true? I asked myself. Will I die if I don't Heal?

"Look, it's simple. We just have to get her to use her Power. How hard can that be?" Brittney asked. "It should be-"

"It won't be simple." My father interrupted. "According to Queen Michelle, Ariella thinks that we abandoned her because she was ashamed of us."

"After what just happened when you two realized who she was, there's no way she could think that!" Thomas argued.

"It doesn't matter what she thinks, Thomas." My mother responded bitterly. "It's what she knows that's the issue."

"And she 'knows' that we abandoned her and it could take weeks if not months to make her know otherwise." My father sighed bitterly. "We have to get her to trust us before we even think about asking her to practice her Power."