Path Two, Step Two: The Day I Died

Start from the beginning

"Did he? How sweet of him. Did he say anything else about me?" I intertwine my fingers behind my back and cock my head to side, a picture of innocence.

"Well of course, he always talked about you when he wrote but he did mention that he was worried about you in his last letter." He replies, seeming to finally relax in my presence.

"Did he say why?" I ask, the confusion in my tone coming out as believable as I had hoped.

"No." He answers simply, his brows knitting together in confusion as though he's just realized how odd that is.

"Well I don't think I'm in any danger so I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. More importantly, it's no fair that you know my name and I don't know yours so if I had to guess.." I trail off and walk a slow circle around the demon in front of me as he eyes me curiously before stopping before him and clapping my hands excitedly.

"You're Matthew, right?" I ask with a bright smile that he returns.

"And how would you know that?" He asks, teasing me with my own words.

"My father said I'd like you." I giggle at the small blush that tints his cheeks at my response before glancing around the empty yard. "But where are your brothers? I was expecting five of you." His eyes widen at my words and he glances back towards where he came.

"They're waiting up front I totally forgot! They're gonna be so annoyed, come on!" He grabs my arm and I allow him to pull me along behind him as we round the side of the house to the front yard. The four other men are standing by the front door waiting, albeit impatiently with tapping feet and crossed arms. The first to spot us is a gruffer looking man dressed in a torn up green tank top, green and white vest, and tan cargo pants with a thick metal band clasped around his wrist and silver dog tags shining against his throat. His auburn hair is a spiky mess on the top of his head and his emerald eyes are piercing as they bore into my new friend.

"Where the fuck have you been?" He snaps, drawing the others attention and a small frown from me.

"He found me didn't he? You should be saying thank you." I shoot back, crossing my arms to match his, and he finally seems to realize I'm here as he turns his annoyed gaze to me.

"And who are you?" He growls, his irritation mounting. I see one of the others step forward to cut in but I raise my hand to them without glancing over and smile sweetly at the demon in front of me, giving him a small curtsy as I begin my introduction.

"_________ Anderson, daughter of William Anderson and owner of this estate but shouldn't you know who you're visiting before you come calling?" My teasing quip only annoys him more as his hands tighten into fists. One of his brothers pulls him back and quickly takes his place but the apologetic smile on his face doesn't distract me from the look of intrigue and confusion buried in the endless depths of his violet blue eyes.

"Forgive my brother Sam, Miss Anderson, he has a bit of a temper. I'm Damien, it's nice to finally meet you." His hair is a brilliant shade of orange that momentarily grasps my attention and I can't help but admire his casual yet formal looking attire, white slacks and a red button up under a tan jacket, but I can't seem to break my gaze from his as I try to glean the reason for the mysterious look in his eye.

"Have I done something strange?" I ask and surprise flickers in his eyes for a moment.

"N..no, why do you ask?"

"It's nothing." I reply with a shake of my head, deciding I must simply be imagining things, and turn my attention to one of the boys I haven't been introduced yet. Dressed formally in black slacks and a grey blazer trimmed in red over a white shirt and red tie with his ebony hair swept back, wispy bangs curling behind his left ear, he watches Damien carefully over his black rimmed glasses before turning to me and offering his hand.