Path Two, Step Two: The Day I Died

Despite the torture and humiliation I was put through I held on to the thin strand of sanity that pulled so tightly in my mind I was sure it would snap. I spent my nights dreaming of a home, the things I would give for a normal life once again, though I had no illusions of freedom. I knew I would be trapped here forever and so when my monster left me alone chained to the wall of his bloodied playroom I saw an opportunity that I may never have gotten again and I took it. My right hand, its bones brutally broken and splintered, slipped from the shackle with a bit of painful effort and I didn't hesitate to snatch one of the gleaming blades from the table placed just close enough to reach. I knew I couldn't fight back but at least I could escape from this hell. I took several deep breaths for courage before plunging the blade through my heart and twisting it mercilessly. I bit back my screams, blood pooling in my mouth and trickling from my lips, not wanting to give my captor the chance to save me. I wrenched out the knife and crimson gushed from the hole in my chest like a waterfall. A few seconds passed before a numbing chill began to creep into my fingers and toes. My legs trembled violently as I leaned forward to better allow every drop to spill to the floor and my heart pounded wildly in vain, only pumping more blood onto the concrete below. Spots swam in my vision as the cold overtook my limbs and I collapsed, dangling from my chains. My eyes sank shut as my heartbeat became as faint as a whisper and I could hear the iron door swing open as I took my final breath before the dark unknown of death wrapped me in its welcoming shroud.

"Is anyone back here?" A male voice calls from the side of the house and I pause with my pen still to the paper. I glance over with a frown just as a young man steps around the side of the building, I wasn't expecting them to arrive until tomorrow, but it quickly melts away as I look him over. It's hard to make out any details from this distance but it's clear that he is very handsome, not surprising for a demon. He's dressed in jeans, a sky blue shirt with a white skull on the front and an oversized orange sweater draped over top. His hair is a mess of black curls that cascade down to his shoulders and a wide smile lights up his face.

"Hey! Sorry to bug you, I'm looking for.." He trails off as he moves closer but I barely notice as my gaze rakes over him before my eyes rest on his, a deep blue like the ocean at dusk.

"Are.. are you crying?" He asks suddenly, looking stunned. I bring my hand, wrapped in soft white cloth trimmed with lace, to my cheek before looking down at the damp splotches on the fabric.

"Hold on." He steps forward before I have a chance to reply and I watch curiously as he reaches into his sweater pocket, closing his eyes for a moment as if he's concentrating on something, before pulling out a white handkerchief and offering it to me. I stare down at it for a moment before looking back up at him, giggles bubbling up from my throat.

"D..did I do something funny?" He asks, dumbstruck, as I close my journal, take the piece of cloth and wipe the tears of sadness and laughter from my eyes.

"Do you always carry around a handkerchief?" I ask, my eyes glittering in amusement.

"Ahh no, not exactly." He replies sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck and glancing away.

"A magician then? What else can you pull from your pockets I wonder?" I grin as I rise to my feet and brush the wrinkles from my dress, the white lace trim of my petticoat reaching just to my knees. "You'll have to put on a show for me sometime. For now, you said you were looking for someone?" I offer, steering the conversation back on course as he seems at a loss for words.

"You're _________ Anderson." He states, still looking a bit flustered.

"And how would you know that?" I ask with genuine curiosity, the grin never leaving my lips.

"Mr. Anderson mentioned that you were a bit eccentric in his letter. N.. not that that's a bad thing." He stutters, quickly correcting himself, but my smile widens.