CHAPTER TWO - Heritage and Pride

Start from the beginning

"There. I put your small blanket in my bag. You can stay in there."

Timber sniffed the purse and smelled her blanket and her favorite slice of meat so she jumped in and curled up. She was not claustrophobic at all so being confined to the tote had a soothing effect on her. Grace picked up the bag and Timber yelped a little when she didn't feel solid ground beneath her feet all of a sudden but she could see her aunt if she looked up. She knew she was safe as long as she was with Grace in her bag, though she didn't care much for being handled in such an unusual manner.

After a quiet car ride, Timber was placed on the toddler seat of a shopping cart. She stayed hidden but she hated the way the cart shook as it was pushed over the uneven pavement. She growled lightly so Grace knew she didn't like it. Grace chuckled and told her to be patient a moment longer. When they got into the store, the ride was smooth and Timber's nose was sent into overdrive. She smelled baking bread, different kinds of meats, sweet fruits and vegetables, different types of flowers, and so many more unfamiliar scents. She poked her nose out to smell better as Grace went through the bakery section looking for sandwich bread, and french rolls. She chuckled at her niece. Timber wanted to go and smell everything but was still too afraid to leave the safety of the purse. She moved her head in all directions with her nose just poking out of the bag.

Grace took her time in the bakery. Timber watched her curiously. She was reading the packaging on a loaf of bread with a look of concentration. She was seemingly dissatisfied with what she had picked up because she put it back and picked up a different color packaging of what looked like the same product. Again, Grace read the packaging and this time, she put the bread in the shopping cart. She began pushing the cart to the other side of the bakery when someone called out to her.

"Grace, how are you?" said an unfamiliar female voice.

"Hello, Susan!" said Grace, and the cart stopped moving. "I'm doing fine. Thank you!"

"We were worried about you on Wednesday when you missed girl's night. You usually call if you're going to miss a night. Are Chad and Emily alright?"

"I'm sorry, Dear. Yes, they are both doin' fine. I had to miss it because we have a new addition to the family."

"Oh! My goodness! Are you pregnant?"

"No, nothin' like that," replied Grace with a small laugh.

She opened her bag and Timber's eyes were flooded with light. She blinked twice and looked up to see a face with such a genuinely happy glow that it was hard to be afraid.

"Oh, she's so cute, Grace! Can I hold her?"

"I'm sorry. She's a rescue and she's still afraid of people. She might bite. You can let her sniff you, though. She's still a puppy so be careful."

"I understand." Susan looked at Timber kindly. "I love her blue eyes." She held out her hand and Timber poked her head out to sniff. The woman's hand smelled strongly of peppermint. Her ears perked up a little. "She must like my lotion." Susan laughed. She turned her hand over and went to pet Timber, but stopped when Timber flattened her ears and showed her teeth. She pulled away slowly. "My apologies, Puppy."

"It's alright," said Grace, putting a hand on Timber's back to calm her down. "She's still afraid, but she'll warm up."

"She is very cute and big for a puppy. What breed is she? She looks a little like a wolf."

"She's a mixed breed," explained Grace.

Timber felt a giant hammer smash her pride and she gave Grace a scathing look of disapproval and huffed out of her nose.

"Excuse me," said another woman rather rudely. "Dogs are not allowed in the store."

Timber turned her head and saw a scowling woman approaching from behind Susan. She was thin and tall with a heavy layer of makeup and overdone eyes. Timber was reminded of one of Emily's Barbie dolls. She would have been lovely if she did not look like there was a sewer pipe under her nose. Beside her was a nine-year-old blonde girl who looked just as snobby. Timber hid her head back in Grace's tote bag and remained still.