C H A P T E R 9

Chapter 9: Mental breakdowns

══════

   To not be in control of your own mind is paralyzing. It's fear inducing. It's like a nightmare you can't wake up from. Someone else is at the wheel pressing the gas and you are barreling head first for a concrete wall. Except you never hit the wall. You're stuck in a constant purgatory, just waiting to hit the wall at full speed.

   The past few days have been just that— purgatory. Daisy did her best to prepare me for days like this, the days where your powers control you. She said it was apart of growing into my abilities, "It's like puberty, your body is going through so many changes."

   "Like this wasn't already hellish enough. You had to compare it to some of the worst years of my life."

   She'd help where she could. The team made sure to give me my space when I needed. They'd have things delivered to the door so I wouldn't have to venture out into the base.

   Proximity was a bitch. The closer someone was, the easier it was for me to read them. The emotions often overwhelmed me and it was nearly impossible to get the voices to shut up. I hated this, I hate feeling like I was at the mercy of everyone's emotions. It was a living hell.

   I sat at my desk, fidgeting and bouncing my leg up and down. I was holding my head in my hands breathing heavily. It had to let up sooner or later. It had to. Normal migraines had the ability to take out any average adult, but telepathic-empathic-induced headaches were a different breed.

   "I can't do this anymore..." I muttered to myself as tears rolled down my face.

   I placed my hand on the table softly to try and calm my breathing. Like growing pains, these were fast and painful. With empathy, I learned two things; my mind was no longer my own and I can't turn off this sixth sense. It was like an intuitive dial I was unable to shut off, I was able understand others feelings on a whole new level.

   It was as if I grew a new form of sympathy for people than no one could understand. The air around me was thick, heavy, weighted with numerous things. It was getting hard to breathe. I let out a groan and got out of the chair and began to walk over to my bed.

   I could feel it building up in my stomach. Pockets of energy stored within me begged to be released. Tension and stressed desperately clawed at their cages. I wasn't in control.

---

   "Oh hush, it's not like I meant to do it." Daisy said with a chuckle.

   "Sure." Bobbi said with a sarcastic tone. They both laughed uncontrollably until Simmons came and shut them up.

   "Sorry Jemma." The girls apologized in unison as they let out a small giggle.

   "If you want to talk, go talk in the common room, not in my lab-" Jemma scolded, giving them a small smile.

   "OUR LAB!" Fitz yell from across the room.

   "Yes— OUR lab...our lab" Jemma mocked Fitz in a childish tone causing Daisy and Bobbi to burst out in laughter once more.

   This time Jemma joined them, but they quickly stopped. A pulse of energy ricocheted through out the base. It flowed threw everyone and everything, causing them to be wobble where they stood.

   "Did you guys feel that?" Bobbi asked while grabbing the edge of the table for stability.

   "What the hell?" Daisy muttered as she tried to regain her balance.