TWENTY-THREE

Everyone, how was I suppose to protect Soji from everyone. I didn't think that he actually needed that level of protection. I saw Soji fight, he wasn't some weak little thing. He was capable of protecting himself.

"Hey you," Someone yelled. Turning around I could see a man walking towards us. The woman finger pressed on my shoulder. Her lips were close to my ear as she whispered to me. When she removed her hand, she was gone just like that.

Protect my son.

That woman was Soji's mother. Who was she? How could she be his mother? I guess it made sense. The power that she held was a lot like the white mage power. It meant Soji got his power from her. Why would she leave her son with someone like Rhett? She had powers, why wasn't she the one protecting Soji.

The man who had called me was now closer. I frowned when I looked at him. His steps slowed as he grew closer to me. His eyes, I knew those eyes. I could never forget eyes like his. They were gray and clear. It made my soul stir inside of me. I could picture those eyes staring at me daring me to blink first. Those eyes laughed with me, they cried with me, they teased me endlessly.

Blinking I shook my head. It was impossible and yet as I took in the rest of the package my heart started to raise. Gray eyes, black hair, this man was the mirror image of my father, of my brother, of me. I could smell power in him, but I didn't know what kind of magic he held. Who was he? Who was this man?

"Yael," I whispered my brother's name. Closing my eyes under the scent of power was the earth and honey scent that my brother held the last time I saw him. The last time I saw Yael was over one hundred and fifty years ago. He and his father were running for their lives as I fended Ban off.

Was that who this man was. Had my blood line lived on through Yael daughter? Maybe he had another child before he died. I squeezed my eyes against the thought. Yael was dead. It was a sobering thought. One that sadden me since it had been this long since I spared my brother a thought.

"Demons aren't allowed to wander freely." His voice was deep, rich, smooth. Even that reminded me of Yael and our father. There was no denying that this man was in some way a descendant of Yael. It made me happy to know that despite Ban's best efforts my bloodline lived on. "I can walk you to your master."

I didn't speak I just let my feet take me. They followed behind this man. There were so many questions that raced through my mind. I wanted to know about his family. How many were there? Who was out there. Did Yael every time his daughter about his family. Was the story passed down? Or were we just a forgotten memory lost to time.

"Your name is Zero." He said and I looked up at him. He dug into his pocket pulling out a worn folded piece of paper. We both paused as he held it towards me. I looked at him and then down at the page. Taking it from his hand I unfolded the worn old thing.

If I had the range of human emotions, my heart would stir. They didn't have pictures like these anymore. Everything was all about tech and magic in this day and age. Your memories were kept on disks that were downloaded from your thoughts.

I couldn't remember taking this picture. Seeing it didn't stir the memory inside of me. Still I smiled as I looked at it. My mother and father were sitting on the porch swing. Amber was leaning against the door jam with a bottle of beer in her hand. Yael and I were on the steps. Yael had me in a headlock both of us had huge smiles on our faces.

I looked at myself and almost didn't recognize the boy before me. His gray eyes were just like his brother and father. They weren't the golden eyes that I received when I became a demon. Shaking my head, I gently folded the page passing this man back his treasure.