NINETEEN

A thick fog surrounded us the deeper we walked into the ghost town Korku was rumored have taken residence in. They said that Korku killed anyone who was foolish enough to venture into his domain. The bodies and bodies that littered the ground was a testament to that.

It was impossible to see more than a few feet in front of you. This fog seemed to wrap around us. It clung to our clothes and hung low around our heads. I wanted to clear it away, but I didn't want to alert Korku to our presence. There was a good chance that he already knew we were here. There was nothing natural about this fog.

Hearing steps, I whipped around hissing at the tricks the fog was playing on us. There were giggles that sounded like children. My eyes scanned the area for them, but I could see nothing. If there were children out there, they were probably demons as well.

"This place is so creepy." Rai grabbed my hand as she spoke. I could her tremble slightly. She was never good with this kind of stuff. Rai was the girl that watched horror movies from behind her fingers. I wish she were home watching from behind her fingers safe and sound.

"This fog is unnatural," Emiko spoke and I rolled my eyes. She was the only one here without a mage gift. Everyone already knew what she just stated. She probably thought she was smart and clever to be the first to speak it. There was no need to speak what was already understood.

This fog was of Korku making. With each step, we went deeper into his territory. If we weren't careful, we would be joining the bodies of those that was under our feet. The scent of death was masked by the fog. It made me wonder if Korku was actually a B-Class demon. This seemed more like A-Class magic.

"Soji, purify this place. At least then we will be able to see." I growled at Emiko just for suggesting that Soji purify anything why I was still in the area. Of course, she probably wanted him to get rid of me. It's been two weeks since I fell to the hungry. Two weeks of walking just to make it to this town. Someone was still bitter about her arm.

"Zero will hurt if I cleanse this place." He didn't mention the effect it would have on him. Could his body even handle cleansing a whole town? Did Emiko even care? She only saw Soji as a tool for their church to use, for his father to use. She didn't give a shit about Soji the boy.

I could feel Emiko rolling her eyes even though I couldn't see her. She didn't care if I lived or died either. She probably would prefer the latter. I wouldn't care if she died either. Or maybe I would; I knew how much her death would hurt Soji. I didn't want him to know the pain of lost.

"I'll do it," I told them. They were only going to bitch about it so might as well give them what they wanted. Closing my eyes, I could feel my powers flowing through me. When I open my eyes again, they were the red eyes of my demon form.

Chanting in the ancient demonic tongue I started to cast a high-level spell. I wasn't sure where I learned spells like these. They were just something I picked up as I wandered the world for the last two hundred years. Maybe Ban taught it to me, I couldn't remember.

Most of my spells didn't need a chant. Then there was spells so powerful you had to say the words to give them power. A frown pulled at my brows when my powers met resistance. This wasn't Korku, a B-Class demon couldn't resist a spell this power. In fact, I wasn't even sure that this fog was of the fear demon making.

Ban's ring started to heat. Reaching up I touched the ring. I knew that it held power inside of it. Maybe it was Ban's own power. I sucked in a breath when my spell and the fog started to twist together. It was if they became one. Did that mean . . . I didn't even want to think it.

The fog started to recoil and I could tell if it was my doing or not. I watched as the white smoke pulled back showing the bodies that littered the ground. Rai covered her mouth stepping closer to my side. I let my eyes wander over the bodies before looking up towards the sky. I could see a black sky with a red moon.