Prologue

I rolled over, feeling restless. My forehead creased into a frown at the throbbing pain in my head, but looking at his peaceful face made it subside. I felt the corner of my mouth raise, moving closer to take a curl of his hair between my fingertips, admiring it as it shone under the sunlight seeping through the gap in the curtains. I planted a gentle kiss on his forehead and he remained lost in his dreams.

I climbed out of bed, deciding it was pointless to try to go back to sleep. After wrapping my silk dressing gown around me I tried my best to tie the rope, but it didn't quite fit all of the way around my waist. Sighing in defeat I let it drop to the floor and left the bedroom.

As I walked into the kitchen I let out a little smile, seeing the sun rays starting to shine through the blinds. I looked in the cupboards and checked the fridge, with the idea of making Lucas something nice to wake up too.

Above my quiet humming I could hear Lucas getting up, the old floorboards creaking beneath him. I topped it with berries and a sprinkle of sugar as the finishing touches.

"Lucas! Breakfast!" I shouted as I placed the full plate onto the dainty, old oak table.

A few minutes had passed, just as I was about to shout for him again, he came running into the kitchen, sending the door flying into the chair. I shook my head at his clumsiness. He did the same thing every day, some people just never learned. His eyes beamed and his smile glowed, despite being in his early thirties he was always a child at heart, especially over his favourite food.

"Morning," he said cheerily, embracing me. I remember rubbing my stomach and feeling the butterflies flutter around in circular motions.

Lucas sat down at the table and licked his lips at the high stack of pancakes. Before starting to eat he straightened his tie and pulled his trouser leg out from his sock. He glanced down at his smart suit and then at the sticky treacle, before picking up his knife and fork.

"Aren't you having any, Alice?" He turned to ask me, a tiny trickle of treacle seeped from the corner of his mouth.

"I might have some later, I'm feeling rather sick," I remember saying while stroking my swollen stomach. I let out a little giggle, as I felt my baby kick. Lucas jumped up to feel too, his face in awe. We shared loving thoughts about our unborn child, before Lucas was suddenly interrupted when he caught a glimpse of the ticking clock.

He slouched back in his chair and scooped the rest of the gooey heaven into his mouth. He put his plate into the sink and then spun around to hug me.

"Alright honey, I best get off to work," he said, cleaning his lips with a napkin. He saw the slight sadness reflected in my eyes, caused by his leaving. "Listen, I'll see you tonight, I'll bring pizza and a big tub of ice cream on my way home," he promised. He checked his watch. "It'll be a movie night, so pick a good one," he winked and bent down to kiss my kicking belly, a smile forming on his face.

"It better be chocolate ice cream!" I giggled, picturing the scene.

I handed him his brown brief case and followed him to the door to wave him goodbye, I watched as he fumbled to get his car key in the ignition, shaking my head and letting a little chuckle escape from my lips. He leaned forward and gave me a quick wave once at the end of the drive, before speeding out of the street.

-

As time crept close to six, I brought our duvet and pillows downstairs, draping them across the sofa. Bending down I pulled the small coffee table closer to the sofa, which caused me to stand up abruptly feeling as though I had jarred my back. I still remember the painful twinge that brought tears to my eyes. I kicked off my slippers as I walked into the kitchen to relieve my aching feet on the cold soothing tiles. I reached for two tall glasses from the cupboard and retrieved a bottle of apple juice and a can of beer from the fridge. I set them on the table, along with two small plates and two big spoons, lighting a small cinnamon candle in the centre of the table.