[ 28 ] I n t e r m i s s i o n

Start from the beginning

The room suddenly feels hot and I try to wipe my face clean of any emotion.

"Because. . ."

I can barely hold myself together when he crosses his arms.

Get your shit together, it's not like you've never seen a shirtless guy before.

"Because. . ." he echoes, his voice laced with puzzlement.

For a moment, I forget about what I was going to say before I snap out of my trance.

"Forget it." I turn around and head straight for the door.

"Wait." I stop abruptly upon the sound of his voice and rotate.

Perplexed, I watch him stride toward his desk before grabbing my purse.

I slap my forehead repeatedly while keeping my eyes shut.

Stupid much? I unconsciously left it on his desk and if it weren't for him, I would have forgotten it there.

It's not until my eyes open that I realize he's standing so close to me.

"You forgot this." Dean gestures at my bag before giving it to me.

"Thanks." I say, more like whisper once the strap is secured on my shoulder. His eyes stare into my own and I feel like the air has been snatched from my lungs.

As much as I try not to anchor my attention on him, I miserably fail.

Gosh his eyes. . .are truly breathtaking. They're the kind of green that distracts you from everything around.

Behind those eyes are hidden mysteries that one can't possibly begin to uncover. Gazing into them takes me back to the first day we met, reminding me of how innocent I thought they used to be.

But by now, I've learned that looks can be deceiving.

Knowing I'm not on the right state of mind, I still choose to take backward steps and what do I get?

Things don't end well for me when my heel bone collides into an item on the floor, causing me to loose balance.

In a quick motion, I feel his arm encircle my waist before he braces my weight with his, preventing me from falling.

I briefly leer at the laptop charger that almost caused me to fall but end up forgetting everything once I come to acknowledge our proximity.

The closeness is unbearable and if I don't leave now, I won't be able to control what happens next.

"Did you also lie about not liking me?" I don't know what possesses me to say those words but it slips.

We measure each other's gaze and I can't seem to decode that unreadable look of his.

I brace myself for what he's about to say but all my emotions diminishes once we hear a knock on the door. After I'm brought back to my senses, I break away from his hold.

Breathless, I stare at him in a nervous state while he looks a bit infuriated.

Gosh, what if it's that girl he was talking to earlier?

What the hell was I thinking when I came to his room?

Dean sighs and mutters incoherent words under his breath before heading over to open the door.

"Dude, not cool." Even if Dean's blocking my view of the person standing in front of him, I'm instantly able to identify Anthony's voice. "We were supposed to be at Zeph's beach party like about an hour ago. What the fuck are you slowing us down for?"