SCENE TWO

SCENE TWO

~~~

INT./EXT. ROAD -MORNING

The black screen fades into an aerial view of a school bus, driving south down West Street, New York. Cawing birds, laughter, and the "whoosh" of passing cars are heard.

PERCY (voice over): But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start...here. Back when I was at Yancy Academy—a boarding school in upstate New York.

As the camera zooms down onto the bus, the sounds grow louder. Camera moves into the bus through the front windshield. Laughter and speaking overpower the other sounds. Most of the twenty-eight students within the bus are talking or laughing; some read, others sleep, others are occupied with electronics. Camera pans the aisle as it moves towards the back of the bus.

The camera halts, focusing on the last two seats on the right side of the aisle.

The second to last seat holds two boys, a set of crutches propped against the window. Closest to the window is a curly-haired brunette with acne and a slight goatee, GROVER UNDERWOOD. His hair is full of pieces of a sandwich. Next to GROVER sits a younger looking boy with black hair and bluish green eyes. PERCY JACKSON looks extremely angry.

Behind them, sits a girl with red hair and freckles, NANCY BOBOFIT. She is tearing apart a sandwich, strategically placing bits into GROVER'S hair.

PERCY: I'm gonna kill her.

PERCY (voice over): It's for troubled kids...

GROVER: Percy—

PERCY: I am going to murder her.

GROVER: It's fine. I like peanut butter.

PERCY (voice over): Am I a troubled kid?

NANCY places another hunk of lunch into GROVER'S hair.

PERCY: That's it.

PERCY begins to stand.

PERCY (voice over): I guess you could say that.

GROVER pulls him back into the seat.

GROVER: You're already on probation, Percy. You know you'll get blamed if anything happens!

Percy sinks into the seat, arms crossed, huffing.

PERCY: Something always happens...

GROVER: Exactly.

The bus slows to a stop. Everyone exits; an old man in a wheelchair, CHIRON, is the first to leave the bus. The other students push and shove each other as they pass. GROVER, now with crutches, and PERCY are the last to leave the bus.

PERCY (voice over): And, of course, something happens.