"Famous?" he asked, stunned. "What do you mean? I just got here."

Reece laughed and clasped a hand on his shoulder. He was clearly amused by Thor.

"Word spreads faster in the royal court than you might imagine. And a newcomer like yourself—well, this does not happen every day."

"Where are we going?" he asked, realizing he was being led somewhere.

"My father wants to meet you," he said, as they turned down a new corridor.

Thor swallowed.

"Your father? You mean...the King?" Suddenly, he was nervous. "Why would he want to meet me? Are you sure?"

Reece laughed.

"I am quite sure. Stop being so nervous. It's just my dad."

"Just your dad?" Thor said, unbelieving. "He's the King!"

"He's not that bad. I have a feeling it will be a happy audience. You saved Erec's life, after all."

Thor swallowed hard, his palms sweaty, as another large door opened and they entered a vast hall. He looked up in awe at the ceiling, arched, covered in an elaborate design and soaring high. The walls were lined with arched stained-glass windows, and if possible, even more people were crammed into this room. There must have been a thousand of them, and the room positively swarmed. Banquet tables stretched across the room, as far as the eye could see, people sitting on endlessly long benches, dining. Between these was a narrow aisle with a long, red carpet, leading to a platform on which sat the royal throne. The crowd parted ways as Reece and Thor walked down the carpet, toward the King.

"And where do you think you're taking him?" came a hostile, nasally voice.

Thor looked up to see a man standing over him, not much older than he was, dressed in a royal garb, clearly a prince, blocking their way and scowling down.

"It's father's orders," Reece snapped back. "Better get out of our way, unless you want to defy them."

The prince stood his ground, frowning, looking as if he'd bit into something rotten as he examined Thor. Thor did not like him at all: there was something he did not trust about him, with his lean, unkind features and eyes which never stopped darting.

"This is not a hall for commoners," the prince replied. "You should leave the riffraff outside, where it came from."

Thor felt his chest tighten. Clearly this man hated him, and he had no idea why.

"Shall I tell father you said that?" Reece defended, standing his ground.

Grudgingly, the prince turned and stormed away.

"Who was that?" Thor asked Reece, as they continued walking.

"Never mind him," Reece replied. "He's just my older brother—or one of them. Gareth. The oldest. Well, not really the oldest—he's just the oldest legitimate one. Kendrick, who you met on the battleground—he is really the oldest."

"Why does Gareth hate me? I don't even know him."

"Don't worry—he doesn't only reserve his hate for you. He hates everybody. And anyone who gets close to the family, he sees as a threat. Never mind him. He is but one of many."

As they continued walking, Thor felt increasingly grateful to Reece, who, he was realizing, was becoming a true friend.

"Why did you stand up for me?" Thor asked, curious.

Reece shrugged.

"I was ordered to bring you to father. Besides, you're my sparring partner. And it's been a long time since someone came through my age here who I thought could be worthy."