Chapter Thirteen

The three of us lay on the plush leather sofa, watching my all time favourite children’s movie, Home Alone. I was surprised to find out that Jazmyn had already watched this, and that it was too her favourite. The odd giggle or silly statement would leave Jazmyn’s lips as the movie went on. Justin’s head lay on my lap comfortably as I absentmindedly ran my fingers through his silky mop of hair. His eyes were closed, the ends of his long eyelashes slightly brushing over his pink cheeks.

It was as if Justin had blocked out the sounds of the TV, and was simply in his own world. Like dreaming. I shy smile tugged at the corners of his plump lips, his pink tongue running over them quickly as he moisturised them. Leaving them to shine as the light from the TV screen hit them. Everything about him was perfect, his jaw line, his honey coloured eyes, his plump pink lips and his perfectly strait, white teeth they were hiding beneath.

His hair was always perfectly styled or left to lie as it would naturally. And yet every time he managed to make it look effortless, which I knew it mustn’t be. He had like a signature scent, of which I found it hard to explain. It was like and fresh and extremely clean smell. Very masculine. Now I’m only confusing myself. But, if I had to describe it in one word it would have to be... Perfect.

I was starting to wonder just how many times I’ve mentioned perfect already.

His warm breath heated up the palm of my hand slightly as I withdrew it from his hair. He let out a deep breath, his minty breath enchanting me. His eyebrows furrowed together and his eyelids flew open, revealing those dark, mysterious, captivating eyes I was longing to see.

Chuckling, I began fiddling with the strands of his hair yet again, and he closed his eyes falling back into that wondrous dream he was previously in. Letting my gaze settle on his eyelids, and then I went on to think about the real reason he was so perfect; his personality.

He was honestly the most caring, welcoming, thoughtful and of course huggable, person ever. For all the time I’ve known him so far, he’d put others before himself. Especially Jazmyn, he has such a soft spot for her and her innocent pleads whenever there was a doll or cuddly toy she found in a shop window. And even though he couldn’t experience her cute wide eyes, he was a sucker for her.

“Courtney?” Jazmyn yawned loudly, her arms stretching out to the sides.

“Hmm?” I mumbled, my thoughts elsewhere.

“Can you tuck me in?” her quiet, shy voice asked. I took the remote from the sofa arm, and turned off the TV as neither of us were watching it anymore. Nodding, I kissed Justin’s forehead gently; almost asking him to let me stand. Without a thought, he lifted sat up slightly, letting me slip out from underneath him. Doing just that, I lifted Jazmyn up and onto my hip, sparing her the work of walking whilst half asleep.

Her small arms wrapped gently around my neck and her small delicate fingers started to twist a strand of my hair. Justin started to stand up, struggling to get his whereabouts and surroundings straight. “Jay its fine, I’ll only be a minute anyway”

“You sure?” he questioned, raising his eyebrow as he looked over in my direction. Just missing my eyes a little.

“Yeah Jay. I’ll be back in a sec” I reassured him as he nodded unsure, settling back down on the sofa as he had done before. I walked onto the hallway, the dimly lit lights creating dark shadows as I walked down.

I placed Jazmyn back onto her feet, allowing her to waddle into her pink tinted bathroom to brush her teeth. She clutched onto my pinkie, and pulled me along with her. I squeezed a pea sized amount of blue gel like toothpaste onto her toothbrush she had held out for me. Waiting a few seconds for her to brush her small white baby teeth, I huffed; tiredness taking over me.

I was expecting Pattie back within a few hours so I’m sure that whenever that time comes; I will be walking like a zombie; completely sleep deprived.

Jazmyn washed her toothbrush and rinsed her mouth out with the cold running water; spilling from the tap.

Soon Jazmyn was settled into her bed, the duvet covers pulled up to under her chin. She snuggled into her pillows, a teddy bear hugged to her chest. “Courtney?” her small sleepy voice whispered as I sat myself at the end of her bed.

“Yeah?” everything fell silent, her bedside table light causing her face and everything in the room to appear orange.

Without restraining herself, Jazmyn blurted out a question I’m sure she of all people had been dying to ask. “Do you think you and Justin will ever be boyfriend and girlfriend?” she spoke, each word clear and yet most confusing. I was sure this bold question had been bugging her for a while, as she seemed nothing but relieved and in waiting once she had asked it.

Taking in every word individually, I took a deep breath; fumbling with the words caught up between my brain and my lips. “Why would you ask?” I avoided answering anything before she explained her question more. See I was afraid that I had no answer; I couldn’t exactly say ‘Yes’ now could I? And I’m sure that if I did, I would seem too upfront and certain. Of which I wasn’t.

Jazmyn blew out a raspberry, lightening the mood around us. Everything had been so serious that I had forgotten I was talking to a four year old, yet very clever, girl. “Because I like you and I want Justin to be happy; and you”

I couldn’t help but inwardly ‘aww’ my mind buzzing with endless supply of thoughts. “And you make him happy Courtney” she added, a small yet joyful smile spreading across her pink lips. And then like a blizzard, flashbacks of Justin’s smile were flown at me. Every single mind frame bringing back a memory of a day I had spent with him. With every flashback came a question, a question of which I had no answer to.

But one stood out from any other; do I really make Justin happy?