Chapter Six

“Courtney look!” Jazmyn’s sweet voice rang out, I turned my gaze ,that was fixed on Justin, to Jazmyn as she slid down the slide. She made the typical ‘wee’ sound and me and Justin both smiled. My attention was brought over to a brightly coloured van, blasting melodic tunes from its speakers. “Jazmyn,” I shouted, waiting until she turned and started to listen to me. “Want to get some ice cream?” I asked, grinning as she jumped in the air, clapping her small palms together.

“Justin?” I asked, my gaze settling onto him once again. He smiled up at me, nodding his head as well. He stood up immediately, and held his palm open for me to take. I laced our fingers together, and began to guide him towards the ice-cream van. Jazmyn latched onto my thumb, her tiny fingers squeezing it tightly.

A queue was slowly forming, a line of restless parents and young, excited children. There was a long list of the different types of ice cream and ice lollies; I scanned the list, reading out every one so Justin could choose. “99, twister, cornetto, fab, refreshers, solero, or they have normal cones?” I asked as I looked at his puzzled face.

His eyes widened, “Blue moon?” he asked me. Oh dear lord, I was obsessed with Blue Moon. I stood on my tip toes, trying to get a glimpse of the flavours of ice cream. Once I saw the fluorescent blue ice cream I smiled wide.

A rather embarrassing squeal escaped me as I nodded, realizing Justin couldn’t exactly see me I gushed a quick ‘yes’ and looked down at Jazmyn.

“Jazmyn, have you chosen yet?” I asked, taking a step forward as the queue gradually moved shorter. “Yep,” she replied happily, popping the ‘p’. “Fab ice lolly” she said, grinning up at me, her front teeth showing just slightly.

Once it was our turn I asked the man for two ‘Blue moons’ and one ‘fab’. The man, who looked around 35, smiled at me and scooped the ice cream into two cones, then grabbing a fab from the freezer.

“$7 please” he asked, handing the lolly to Jazmyn and the ice creams to me and Justin. “Justin, could you please hold my ice cream?” I held my ice cream out, my other hand stuffed into my handbag as I searched for my purse. “Courts, I’m paying” he said, taking some money out of his wallet. I was about to protest, “No Justin I’m pa- Courtney, I’m paying” he said, handing the notes over to the man who smiled, turning to get the change.

“Thank you, But I am paying for whatever needs paying for next time!” I struggled to find the right words to say.

I sighed deeply in defeat, watching intently as Justin smiled at the man, stuffing the change into his pocket and then holding his hand out for me to take. I took his hand and Jazmyn grabbed onto my shorts, because I was holding my ice cream with my other hand. We started to walk towards the duck pond, where four picnic benches were placed. Jazmyn ran over to one of the tables, swinging her legs over the side of the seat and then sitting down. I led Justin to the table, making sure he sat down without hurting himself. I know he hates it that he needs help, I just couldn’t bare the thought of him being in physical pain as well as mental.

We were all sitting down in silence, listening to the birds as they sang their poor little hearts out. Mine and Justin’s tongues were slowly turning blue with every lick, and Jazmyn’s was turning a bright shade of red.

Once I had finished my ice cream, I opened my purse, taking out a five pound note. I had a plan. As Justin and Jazmyn finished, Jazmyn throwing the stick into the bin nearby; we started to head towards the water.

Justin was gripping onto my hand tightly, afraid of how close we were to the water. “Justin, I won’t let you go near the water, promise” I said, squeezing his warm hand slightly. He relaxed and allowed me to guide him to a patch of grass where Jazmyn had ran off to.

“Okay Justin, shall we sit on the grass or we could go to one of the benches nearer the water?” I asked him, memorizing his amazing features all over again. “Grass” he replied almost immediately, sitting down on the dry grass. I did the same, placing my bare legs out in front of me.

We sat there together, I watched silently as Jazmyn held out to one of the ducks, hoping it would waddle up to her. No luck there.

“20 questions” Justin stated, confusing me as he smiled warmly down at me. “20 questions?” What did he mean by 20 questions? What questions?

Justin sighed, a smirk playing on his lips. I’ll ask you ten questions and you can ask me ten” he said, winking at me in the process. Oh god.

I gulped, a lump forming in my throat. “O-Okay” I stuttered, fiddling with the pastel coloured nail varnish my long nails were coated in.

“Favourite colour?” Justin asked, it didn’t take long for me to respond. “Yellow” I said with a slight smile, everything I owned in my childhood was yellow. My bedroom had yellow painted walls, yellow curtains, bedding, dresser etc. Everything was yellow.

“Blue” Justin said, waiting for me to think of a question.

“Favourite...food?” I asked, more of a question to myself as I couldn’t quite think of what to say. “Blue moon” Justin said, a grin spread across his face as I squealed, “same!”.

“Favourite music artist or band?” He asked me, “ermm, I don’t really have a specific one... Owl City” I said,  I had been listening to Owl City a lot recently.

“I honestly don’t have one, I’ll listen to pretty much anything classic” He said, we both chuckled, his glistening teeth held my attention.

“I-ermm- oh gosh I can’t think...” I trailed off, my mind going blank. Justin chuckled yet again, “Okay, something you’ve never told someone” Justin said, his eyes twinkling as something came over him, happiness?

“Well, there’s a lot of things” I mumbled, I never had anybody to talk to. My parents were always busy doing their own things, and my sister was always spending her time obsessing about boys. I honestly had no body to talk to, and so I had millions of secrets, problems etc. All bottled up inside.

“Well, when I was just turning sixteen, I was living with my parents then, I went to a school in Atlanta. And, well basically I was classed as a ‘goodie-goodie’. My parents gave me anything, apart from what I wanted most, to be loved by them. My sister, who was seventeen at the time, was basically what I would call a slut. My parents adored her, she would put up an ‘innocent’ act at home but in school, Ugh, she was a bitch. I guess everybody expected me to follow in her footsteps, sleep with every guy in the school, have other students do my homework, bitch behind everyone’s back. But, I guess I was the exact opposite. I have never even kissed a guy, let alone slept with one, I did my homework the night I got it and I would never even think about speaking behind someone’s back. I guess Renne, that’s my sister by the way, thought I was an embarrassment to her, so she got Nick, the school jock, to ‘help me’.” I chuckled, remembering how much I used to hate Renne. I still do, but I haven’t seen her in god knows how long, what’s the point of hating somebody if I’m hopefully never going to see them again.

“Anyway, yeah so Renne basically wanted me to sleep with him. I mean, as if I was stupid enough to do that. She told him to act as if he really was interested in me, say sweet things, ask me to the school dance and everything. But I knew all along that something wasn’t right, it was an act and I was stupid enough to fall for it. But, luckily I realised before he had the chance to get in my pants. After that, I never trusted anyone” I said, deciding to end just one of my very depressing tales there.

Justin turned to me, a slow smile forming on his pink lips.

“You can trust me Courts” He said, smiling cheekily. I giggled uncontrollably, “thank you”.

“Okay well, your secret then Mr. Bieber?” I asked, making a gorgeous, toothy grin spread across his face.

“Well...”