Ch.3 -Dragon Rider pt. 1

Eragon~

The girl turned and faced me. She had a panicked look on her face. She was short, and she seemed to be about eight years old, maybe nine. Her hair was black as pitch and fell in long, silky waves until it ended at her elbows. Her eyes were green, and the intelligence and caution they seemed to encompass astounded me. She opened her mouth, as if to say something. Then her eyes flashed to something above me, and she screamed "GRIMM NO!!!" I turned in time to see a mass of black scale and hide crash into Saphira.

Eragon, a dragon! My guess is a male. Get his rider out of here!

Are you sure?

Of course I'm sure! Saphira snapped. I can handle myself.

She snarled and aimed a vicious kick at the black dragon's belly. He jumped backwards and avoided the blow. Then he roared and spat flame at Saphira. Her wards had been long gone, and as we had been in a state of peace for so long I had not thought to restore them. As a result the flame managed to singe her snout as well as her eyelids. I knew the second of the two caused her the most irritation, every time she blinked the wound throbbed. All of this I witnessed in a few seconds. I turned around and saw the black's rider up against the tree, mouth agape, staring at the fight unfolding before her. I held out a hand, and she shook her head no, staring wide-eyed at my hand like I had just held out a bottle of poison and told her to drink it.

"It's not safe here!"

"I don't care!" she shrieked. The black turned his head to look at her when she did, and Saphira struck the side of his head. He roared and bit her paw as she drew it back. I gasped and clutched my hand as it felt like my fingers had snapped. I knew it was really Saphira's pain, but my body didn't. Saphira roared and pounced in him, digging her claws into his side. I turned as I heard a small cry. The girl had a hand holding her side.

Saphira stop you're hurting them!

Stop? I'm defending myself!

Then defend yourself by deflecting his blows, not hurting him! You'll only make it that much harder for them to trust us!

Have you ever fought a dragon? No!

Can you try to not hurt him?

I'll try.

As if in response to what she said, she got off of the younger dragon and retreated fifty feet away. He clambered to his feet, seemingly confused as to why she had done that. His tail lashed, and in doing so briefly pointed at me and his rider.

Eragon run now!!

There was a high level of panic in her voice, and I immediately bolted, feeling like a rabbit after he has sighted a fox. A split second after I had taken my first step I saw the dragon turn towards me and his rider, and he leaped into the air. I got out of the way as he swiped at me. I dodged, barely, and made my way in a headlong dash towards Saphira. The black paused at the tree briefly, and when he next took flight his rider was gone. I glanced up at the sky and saw a speck of white among the shining scale.

With two quick leaps I jumped atop Saphira. With quick wing-beats she pursued the fleeing pair. Saphira had no reason to hurry; she had hurt the black more than he had hurt her, and with the Eldunarí and myself having healed her injuries, she could easily outdistance him.

I felt Glaedr's consciousness pressing against mine. He did not speak, rather, he wanted to speak to the black. He withdrew from our contact, leaving me apprehensive as well.

I could easily see the black, barely staying in front of us. He was strong to do so, and I admired that.