Chapter 1 - The World is Against Me

           "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."

            -Edgar Allan Poe

           I shut my locker firmly, adjusted my backpack, and walked briskly away. My eyes were mostly kept on my current destination, the doors to freedom, though I occasionally glanced at my feet, not wanting to trip.

           Looking down, I noticed the shoelaces of my Chucks were starting to get loose.

           "Dammit," I muttered to myself. I really did not want to trip on my first day.

           That's right. It's my first day in this school. I'm new in this town and new in this school. We moved here a couple of weeks ago for reasons I do not want to talk about...yet.

           I slowed my walk to a more relaxed pace and stared at my shoelaces, I stared at it hard and assessed the stupid knots.

           I could stop and tighten them.

           I looked around the hallway I was currently in and saw a lot of students milling around, chatting. That's odd, it looked as if I was the only one in a rush to get out of the place, to get home.

           Oh, first day, these people probably missed each other..hmph... As if they won't have an entire school year to get bored of each other's faces again.

           I didn't want to risk bumping into anybody, I didn't want to hear the new girl speech. I sighed, I guess my shoelaces will have to hold. Literally.

           I ran my hand through my raven black curls, pulled some of them forward to cover my face, and walked faster, contemplating on my first day.

           I'm big on contemplating. In fact, I think contemplating is my favourite hobby.

           My first day actually went well. I mean, it went as good as the usual first days. Sure, I got the usual stares from some people, some tentative smiles, and a wave here and there from the friendlier ones. But I also got the usual questions, and being me, I gave my usual answers.

           "Where do you come from?"

           "The Lost City of Atlantis."

           "Why did you move?"

           "My sister's best friend's cousin's neighbor's pet frog's goldfish died. And yes, it was tragic."

           Kidding.

           And I even got the usual crap from the usual crappy routine. Here, let me give you a checklist.

           Front office visit? Check.

           In fact, I even met the esteemed Mr. Principal-what's-his-name-again and he almost gave me a hug...or was that a handshake? I don't really know, I stepped away the minute he tried to invade my personal space. See, I loved my personal space, that's why I always keep it personal. Everybody needs to respect that, even the principal.

           Overly cheerful front desk secretary? Check.

           Miss Kaitlin Smith was young, perky, and chirpy. High pitched voice? You got that right. Irritating? Annoying? Immensely. I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend how people can be this cheerful in the morning. Did she have the usual "You're gunna have so much fun here, luv!" statements? Someone save me, YES.