Chris Chambers • Stand by Me Part 3

You're sitting at home, watching TV and taking down a bag of chips.

After Kevin left you outside at the dance, you didn't have a ride home, but you didn't want to be at that school. You were forced to walk home, alone in the dark. Your jacket was in the building, so you walked home shivering with your arms hugging yourself.

The weekend was awful. You ended up with a cold, but that wasn't the worst part. You were downright depressed. Chris doesn't like you, your only friends were turning on you, and you felt all alone. You basically spent your time on the couch. You had to recover anyway.

You sniffle under the blankets. You really just need to forget about Chris. He was probably glad you weren't in school, and so was Kevin. You're dreading recovering. If you got better, you'd have to go back to that school. You pretended to drink your medicine, but you really weren't.

It's around four when the doorbell rings and you have no idea who it is. You moan as you get up. Your parents are still at work. You actually consider picking up a knife, in case it's a murderer or something. Hey, safety first, right?

You look through the peephole and freeze when you see Chris waiting for you to answer. "Oh God!" You say, fixing your hair and running to the bathroom.

"Y/N?" You hear him call. After you've fixed yourself up a little, you run back to the door and answer. "Hi," he says. He looks upset. That's when you notice he has a black eye. All your hatred for him melts away.

"Oh my God, your eye! What happened?" You step out onto the porch.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Are you okay? Why weren't you in school?"

You're actually surprised. He's worried about you? "Oh, yeah, I'm good. I'm sick."

"Is that the only reason?"

No. "Yeah, I'm getting better. It should go away soon."

There is an awkward silence. "How did you get your black eye. Was it your brother? Oh my God, you have bruises on your arm too," you're about to touch them when you remind yourself that you can't do that anymore.

"Well, the bruises were from my Dad. The black eye was from... Kevin."

"Kevin?! God, that kid just doesn't-"

"I started it."

"Wait, what?"

"I stood up to him at school today."

"Why?"

"Well, I heard that he hit you."

"Oh." So he does care? You're very confused. "I still don't understand."

"I got mad, okay? No one should hit you."

"That's how I feel about you. Now you understand why I get so upset every time-"

"I know," he says. He looks at you. "I'm sorry about everything I've been doing to you."

"You are?"

"Yeah. I shouldn't of been pushing you away, it didn't do any good."

"Why did you push me away?"

"Because..." he's turning a little red. "Look, Gordie told me you liked me and I just didn't want you falling for a guy like me."

"A guy like you?"

"I'm no good! Look at me! I wear dirty T-Shirts with holes in them! My Dad is a maniac that you could never meet, let alone my brother. I'm never gonna make it in life, I'd probably ruin yours-"

"Woah, woah, slow down, Chris. You are so much better then that." It all comes out really fast, like you've been holding it in forever. "You're so smart, inside and outside of school. Maybe you're a little slow in math, but you don't need Algebra all your life. You're so strong and protective of your friends. You put other before yourself. You give this smirk every time you see me that..." You stop yourself, looking down, embarrassed.

"What was that? I couldn't hear that last part," Chris says.

You shove him playfully. "Don't make me say it again!"

"Something about a smirk?"

"Okay, okay, so I think your smirk is cute? Big whoop."

He grins. "Is it a big whoop that I think your smile is the best part of my day?"

You're shocked. He likes your smile... "Really?"

He nods. "You don't know how rough it was telling you that I didn't like you. Well, that's not true at all. You're the only girl who has ever looked at me the way you do. You don't glare at me, you actually look at me like you care. It's nice."

"I do care. A lot."

"I know you do. I care about you, too. I'm just sorry it took me that long to realize it."

"No, I get where you're coming from. But, Chris, I can't see you ruining my life. You just make it better."

"Thanks, Y/N." He then starts leaning in and you don't know what to do. He's gonna kiss you. You've never kissed a boy before. You take a deep breathe and go in for it. It's nice. You both close your eyes. You hands find his strong shoulders. You fingers graze his bruises, the ones you will always be trying to prevent.

Once you both pull away, Chris is smirking. "Like this?" He asks.

"Just like that," you reply.

Then, you notice Gordie standing behind a tree, watching you guys. Chris turns and he just gives a thumbs up. You can't stop laughing when Chris takes a bow and then motions for you to courtesy next to him.

Who needs other friends? You have two of the best guys in school, no matter what anyone says. Kevin starts leaving you guys alone, and Samantha. At first, they are astonished to see you holding hands with Chris in the hallway. You guess that they just decide to ignore you for it, but that's fine with you. Chris wears his black eye with pride. Gordie is such a good sport about Chris and your relationship. He never seems to feel like a third wheeler. You've never felt like you've had found your place until now.

God, your life is great.

The End