River Phoenix

[Romance with the River Phoenix.]

You sit in bed, watching Stand by Me. It is  one of your boyfriend's best movies that he was in a little bit ago. Now, he is in New Jersey working on a new movie, Running on Empty. He would call you once in awhile, but not often. He said he was busy. You hate yourself for not trusting him, but sometimes you wonder if River id into the girl he is working with, Martha Plimpton. They'd done a few movies together in the past and were good friends...

You push the thoughts away. "What is wrong with me?" You say, putting your face in your hands. "He would never do that. I need to chill." River was a good guy. You admit that you are just jealous that you can't go with him while he acts. Supporting him would be great, but you are still stuck in your last year of High School in your hometown.

You barley see River anymore, really. He is always traveling and you are stuck, waiting for him to come back. You love him a lot. You love his music, his passions, and just everything about him. You even turned vegan just for him and don't mind if it means keeping him.

Night is coming and the movie is at the part where River breaks down. Just seeing him cry makes tears form in your eyes. Just then, you hear someone ask, "What's wrong?"

You look up to see River standing in your doorway. "Oh my God!" You cry, getting up. "You're back!" You run up to him and hug him, the tears streaming down your face both from the sadness of the movie and the fact that you are so happy to see him. "I'm sorry," you say, wiping your tears away. "I was watching a sad movie..."

"Which one?" He looks at the small TV in your room.

"Um..." You reply, blushing. "Stand by Me?" He laughs slightly. "What? I missed you. I barley get to see you anymore and this is the only way I can." Your words came out a little harshly and River's smile falls. "No, no, never mind. Forget I said-"

"I know," he responds. Walking into your room and hugging you. "I'm sorry we can't have a normal relationship, like you deserve."

"I can wait," you say. "As long as I know you still love me..."

"What?" He pulls back. "You don't think I love you?"

You just shrug. "Sometimes, I just worry. You know? That one day you'll find someone else on the other side of the world... I'm sorry-"

"Stop apologizing. You're not doing anything wrong. I worry about the same thing."

"You do?"

River takes your hands. "I worry that you'll find someone else here that will be able to watch movies with you whenever you want and will be able to actually call whenever you need him. That's what you deserve."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that sometimes I wonder if I'm not good enough for you."

"River!" You say. "You're perfect for me. I love you so much. Please don't think like that. This is just the way things are. I can wait."

"You shouldn't have to wait."

The tears are coming back. "Are you saying...? River, you can't leave me."

"I'm always leaving you."

"Yeah, but not like this. Please, let's just keep it going a little longer. Please."

You notice that he has tears too. "I just feel so awful when you say that you tried calling me and I didn't pick up. I mean, you're watching movies just to see me. You should be able to see me whenever you want."

"River... I can't handle you breaking up with me now. We've been together for almost two years now."

He nods. "I know." He looks at you and then takes your face in his hands and kisses you softly. You both sit down on the bed, the movie still playing. Gordie is looking at the deer, which stands perfectly still on the screen. "I love you."

"I love you too." You both sit on the bed, watching the rest of the movie.

At the end, River says, "I'll be right back."

"Okay." He walks out of the room and returns with a box. He puts it in your hands and you open it, revealing a locket with the picture of both of you inside. "Oh my gosh, this is so pretty."

"Now, when you miss me, you can just look inside it." He puts the necklace on you and you kiss again. You both end up watching another movie together, your next favorite, and the next morning you wake up lying on his chest. You smile when he wakes up. He smiles back. You know for sure that you love him and he loves you back.