Chapter 21 - Completely Normal

Start from the beginning

Jackson's eyes drifted to where the three of us were standing for a moment. I knew without looking that Scott was giving him a glare of motivation. Yet, I could also tell that Scott is worried about how Jackson will treat her at the dance.

"Hey, don't worry," said Stiles, patting Scott on the back, "we'll still be there."

"I'm still going," said Scott as Jackson and Allison walked away in conversation.

"Is that such a good idea? Do you even have a date?" Stiles asked.

"Not yet," said Scott.

"Do you have a suit?"

"Not yet," answered Scott again.

"Do you have a ticket to the formal?" Stiles asked. I rolled my eyes at Scott and his lack of thought or preparation. If he's going to do this he at least needs a plan. "A ride there?"

"No, and no," said Scott, turning around to face Stiles and me.

"So, you're going to ride your bike to a formal you're not even allowed to go to without a date, a suit, or a way in with werewolves and werewolf hunters all out to kick your little werewolf ass?"

"Yeah," said Scott with a smile. "You gonna help me?"

"Hell yeah," said Stiles, wrapping one arm around Scott and one around me as he lead us off down the hall.

Scott may not have all the things he needs for the dance, but he is damn lucky to have a pair of great friends who are willing to help the poor kid out. I guess I just never thought that mentoring a werewolf would involve having to find him a date to a high school dance. Life is just full of surprises.

  ☼ 

I found myself in Stiles' bedroom the following afternoon. He laid on his bed, tossing up a lacrosse ball and catching it. I sat on his desk, attempting to do some History homework. I was falling behind in almost all of my classes due to all the supernatural drama going on. I've been too busy and too stressed to even think about schoolwork.

I just wanted it to all go away, even for a few minutes. I didn't want to have to spend all of my energy worrying who will be the next person to be killed. I'm doing all I can to help everyone and keep them safe, but sometimes I feel like it's not enough.

The constant sound of the lacrosse ball hitting and leaving Stiles' hand ceased, causing me to look up from my work and turn to him. His arms lay flat against the mattress, the ball held by a loose grip in his right hand. Then he sat up, dropping the ball and running his hands through what little hair he has on his head. 

"The murders," he finally spoke. "They're all connected. They're all connected to the Hale fire."

I beat my hand against my forehead, angry at myself for not realizing that sooner. I should've known. I feel so stupid for not putting it all together sooner. I'm better than that, smarter than that.

I gave a heavy sigh. "Peter doesn't want to kill just anyone," I said. "He wants to kill the responsible ones."

"So, who's next?"

I've always had a suspicion about what really happened at the Hale fire, but my theory has never been confirmed nor denied. But, I'm beginning to think that I'm right. It would only make sense. I warned Stiles never to repeat what I was about to tell him, especially to Derek. It's a rather sensitive subject.

I explained all about Derek and Kate's history, at least what Eric told me of it. From what I understand, they were very...lustful with one another. But, at least I believe, Kate learned from Mr. Harris how to get away with arson. She then used that knowledge to burn the Hale family alive. She's here to finish what she started, and Peter wants revenge.