Chapter 23 - Just In Time?

Start from the beginning

For the first time in my life, I saw fear in Ryker's eyes. He took a step back and dropped the knife to the floor. "Dragneel, I'm warning you. We can stop you."

Fire consumed my body and I laughed, "How? Now I can burn you with what you're trying to take away." 

I ran up, grabbed Lucy from the table and threw her on my back, she clung to me and buried her face in my shoulder. 

Then I spread my legs, planted my feet and held up my fists, which were now the only part of me on fire, "Now, I'm all fired up!"

But all that disappeared when a stinging sensation broke through my cheek. I blinked, and found myself still chained to the wall, Ryker now in front of me, gazing at me with a confused look, "Jesus Christ, did you fall asleep with your eyes open? You really are an idiot."

I glanced around the room, and found Lucy's concerned face, still stuck on that table. 

I hadn't saved anybody. Just daydreamed I had. 

Ryker stalked back over the metal bench and picked up his knife yet again, running it gently along Lucy's neck and collarbone, "Now... Where were we?"

She whimpered, helplessly, eyes squeezed shut as he continued the path of his knife down her shirt, from the top, all the way to the bottom where he then laughed and threw the two sides apart, revealing a lacy bra and toned abs. 

I tried to look away. She wouldn't want me to see this. Not like this. But I couldn't. The restraints around my head physically kept me from looking away from the scene. 

Tears were now streaming down her face as Ryker looked hungrily over the top half of her body. "Wow, what size are these, doll?" he drew circles around her right breast with his knife, drawing blood in certain spots where he pressed slightly harder than he should've. 

A 'bloody murder' scream filled the air when he purposefully pierced the skin of her breast with the tip of the knife and twisted it, "Didn't we talk about how when I ask a question you answer?"

She refused and instead of answering, shot me a look, saying 'Don't give up. I know we can get out of this."

But that look only last a second, when a look of surprise got plastered onto her face after he took the knife and cut the middle of her bra in half, springing the piece of fabric off her chest and left dangling off the sides of the metal bench. Her eyes were wide with fear and surprise as she glanced around at her broken articles of clothing. 

While shock was busy manifesting itself in Lucy and I, Ryker began to talk about Lucy's breasts, "Wow, they're even better without that. So creamy and  big. I could get used to this. Why don't we just," he stabbed into the bottom of her chest and drug the knife from one breast to the other, "mess them up at bit?"

Blood was pouring down her stomach as she screamed at the top of her lungs, her toes curling and uncurling as he twisted the tip of the knife in her. 

"Oh, I like that sound. What do you think, Dragneel?" 

I had nothing to say. I was to devastated by the amount of blood my friend was losing. 

Ryker plunged the knife into her left shoulder next dragging it down her side and around her plump breast. More blood and screams. 

"That's right, girlie," he laughed, "Scream for me. That's just the beginning."

"Ryker!" The old doctor, Faust, entered the room and made immediate eye contact with the black haired psychopath. Lucy bit her lip, trying not to scream while Faust was in the room. 

"Dammit, boss, it was just getting good." he shoved the knife into Lucy's other shoulder and left it there, walking towards the doctor while Lucy cried out. 

"We have a situation," he ignored her cries, "Take them back to the cell and meet me at the front gate."

Ryker groaned but nonetheless took the knife out of Lucy's shoulder and threw her over his shoulder, unhooked me from the wall and hissed at me, "Get up. I can't drag both of y'all."

For some reason, I listened. Call it what you want; anxiety, depression, longing, fear. But I got up and followed closely behind the two. Lucy still wasn't moving, even though I was trying to grab her hand and show her I thought that was our help on the way. 

Maybe she was broken. Or worse, dead. 

A few sets of stairs and creepy corridors later, we reached our 'humble abode' and went inside. Oddly enough, Ryker handed Lucy to me, then slammed the door in my face, yelling for us to stay put until he could get back. 

I brought Lucy back to the wall and set her down against it, expecting her to move or grunt or something, but nothing happened. She just sat there, grimacing and biting her lip.

I had to stop the blood. Thinking fast, I grabbed the broken bra and ripped the rest in two, tying one end around her right arm and the other around her left. Then I ripped off the bottom of my pants, taking that and tying it around her right shoulder as a makeshift band aid. But I couldn't quite reach her back.

"Luce, could you turn a little for me? I gotta tie this right."

"I can't move. It's a spell or something."

My mind finally made sense of all the times she could've escaped and didn't, but I couldn't dwell on that. She was still rapidly losing blood. 

Then I finally looked down, and found her topless self. Clearly, she saw where my gaze had gone and took a deep, shivering breath. 

Without a second thought, I stripped my shirt and tore the majority of the bottom part off. She shot me multiple looks of confusion as I got down behind her and lifted her up off the wall. Then, I reached around her, wrapped the fabric around her chest and tied it in the back. After that, I pulled off the broken bra, and snuggled her own shirt around her stomach, tying it in the front at the bottom, so she could cover more of herself. 

With that covered, I went back to her shoulders and kept ripping pieces of my clothes off to stop the blood from flowing down her chest and stomach. 

Finally, I backed up, and admired my last minute handy work, making sure I had covered everything I could with what I had. 

A light blush could be seen on her face as she watched me look at her. But instead of responding to her blush, I said, "I would've given you my whole shirt but just in case that's not our rescue, and they do the same thing to you later today, I can give you the rest for tonight."

The blush disappeared and was replaced by a soft smile. "Thank you."

At this point, everything was soaked in crimson, but it was slowed. Maybe she could last out the day. I hope she could. 

I opened my mouth, prepared to take life to the fullest and confess to her now before we lost our chance, but was interrupted by an explosion and yelling. 

Wait, I knew that yelling. 

"Ice make, Lance!" 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! Check out my other book "Can You Hear Me?" I'd really appreciate it. 

~MelodyElaine