How They Meet

"Mum, this place is boring! Can we leave?"
"Samuel, we're here for the next few days. Go make a friend!"
Sam groaned and walked out of the hotel room, his hands stuffed into his pockets.
"Ugh, what's the point though?" he muttered under his breath.
"BALL!" a soft voice yelled at Sam. He turned around and was met by a pair of sparkling blue eyes. And then a ball.
"Oh my God! I'm really sorry! It's my older sister, she likes to play... rough sometimes."
"Don't worry, it's okay. I'm alright. Are you?"
"Yes, thank you."
Sam nodded and extended his hand.
"Samuel Davis."
The blue-eyed boy smiled and shook Sam's hand.
"James. James Copperfield."
Sam smiled and his dark green eyes meet James' blue, sparkling ones. They kept their eyes locked for a moment before James leaned down to kick the ball to his older sister.
"Hey, wanna go to the hotel hall? We can talk."
"That'd be delightful, James."
James smiled and ran to a girl in her late teens. The girl looked at Sam, smiled and nodded at her brother. James ran back and Sam and he walked to the hotel hall.
"So, how old are you, Sam?"
"13, 14 next month. And you?"
"Same! Well, I'm a little older. I'm 14 in two weeks, on the 16th of May."
Sam nodded and started talking about his hobbies. They talked for a few hours before James had to leave as it was his last day at the hotel and Sam's first.
"Do you have a phone, James?"
James shook his head and Sam said he didn't either.
"Oh, I've got a truly cracking idea!"
"You're so posh, Samuel. You sound like Winnie the Pooh!"
Sam laughed.
"And anyway, what was your idea?"
"We'll write to one another! Just give me your address and I'll give you mine!"
James smiled, nodded and ran over to a table in the hall, grabbing a piece of paper and a pen.
He wrote down his address and ripped the piece of paper in half so that Sam could write his on the other half. Sam did so and gave his piece to James. They agreed that they would never give the addresses away to anyone else and Sam waved James goodbye from the hotel as he left.
Sam's mother walked up to Sam and asked him what he was holding. Sam explained what he and James were to do and his mother approved. Sam wrote his first letter that day.