The Wedding (pt. 2) - "With This Ring"

Magsimula sa umpisa

He looked at Kyle, just a few bare inches shorter than himself. Anxiety tightened the man's face, but his eyes glowed. Kyle loved him and right here beside Nate was where he most wanted to be, Nate could feel it in the way Kyle held his hand – as if no force on earth or in heaven could tear him loose from Nate.

The need to hold the guy in his arms consumed Nate, but he resisted it for the time being as the preacher began to speak.

"Dear friends and family, we are gathered here today in the sight of God and angels, and the presence of friends and loved ones, to celebrate one of life's greatest moments, to give recognition to the worth and beauty of love, and to add our best wishes and blessings to the words which shall unite Nate Westfall and Kyle Haney in holy matrimony."

Holy matrimony. A warmth seeped through Nate's body. Not so long ago he believed God rejected – even hated – everything he and Kyle were. But to hear those words now – Holy Matrimony – it gave him a level of comfort he hadn't known he needed, that certainty that this was a union joined by God himself.

The preacher continued. "We have been called together as witnesses to the happiness which this couple has found together, and to the mutual caring and responsibility for their common life. Marriage is a most honorable estate, created and instituted by God, signifying unto us the mystical union, which also rests between Christ and the Church; so too may this marriage be adorned by true and abiding love. Should there be anyone who has cause why this couple should not be united in marriage, they must speak now or forever hold their peace."

The man's words seemed muffled, even distant, against the deafening thump of Nate's heart. He silently dared anyone to set foot in here and oppose their union. Nate held Kyle's hand firmly, squeezing with assurance, as if to say – Don't worry, baby, anyone tries to stop us and they'll be going out horizontally.

The preacher looked at Nate and Kyle, and smiled. "Today is truly a glorious day the Lord hath made – as today both of you are blessed with God's greatest of all gifts – the gift of abiding love and devotion for one another. All present here today – and those here in heart and spirit – wish both of you all the joy, happiness and success the world has to offer."

Nate glanced at Kyle, whose eyes glistened at the preacher's words – Thosehere in heart and spirit. Nate believed with all his heart that both Kyle's dad and Ian were here with them today. If he looked long enough, he could almost see Jim Haney standing at Kyle's side with Janice, his strong, gentle hand resting on Kyle's shoulder, eyes glowing with an abundance of pride. Nate's vision blurred and he blinked back the tears. He faced forward again and focused on the preacher's words.

"As you travel through life together, I caution you to remember that the true measure of success, the true avenue to joy and peace, is to be found within the love you hold in your hearts. I would ask that you hold the key to your heart very tightly."

When Kyle's fingers tightened around Nate's hand, he looked at the guy again. Kyle was gazing at him, so much love pouring out of him that it nearly broke Nate right there. It was on his mind to ask the preacher to please hurry and get to the end because he desperately needed to kiss this boy.

The corner of Nate's mouth twitched with a smile and he winked softly at Kyle.

"Within the Bible, nothing is of more importance than love." The preacher continued. "We are told the crystalline and beautiful truth: God is Love. We are assured that Love conquers all." He looked from Nate to Kyle. "It is love, which brings you here today, the union of two hearts and two spirits. As your lives continue to interweave as one pattern, remember that it was love that brought you here today, it is love that will make this a glorious union, and it is love which will cause this union to endure."