Back In My Arms Again

"I've loved you forever, in lifetimes before

And I promise you never...Will you hurt anymore
I give you my word, I give you my heart
This is a battle we've won
And with this vow, forever has now begun...

* * *

And I will take you in my arms
And hold you right where you belong
Till the day my life is through
This I promise you."

- This I Promise You, N'SYNC

 ________________________________

God, he was the most beautiful sight Nate had ever seen.

The door was heavy against his palm as he held it part way open, standing half in, half out of the room. The head of the hospital bed was raised up a bit and Kyle lay back against the pillows, relaxed, eyes closed. But he wasn't asleep. Janice and Greyson had just come out minutes ago and told Nate he was asking for him.

A shudder rolled through Nate's body. His heart trembled against his ribs. He hadn't come in with them when they'd talked to Kyle about everything that had happened. He had to be confused; he went into surgery for the tumor – and woke up with someone else's heart.

Nate had heard that sometimes people who get a heart transplant can actually retain a residue of the original owner. He didn't know if it was true, but prayed it didn't change who Kyle was. Who he had always been.

The door closed slowly as he stepped through and let his hand slide away. When it knocked lightly against the door jam, Kyle's eyes opened. Nate's knees weakened and his vision blurred in an instant. He'd sat beside Kyle's bed so many times, aching to look into those eyes just one more time. Terrified they would never open in this world again.

His throat squeezed tight. The tears were draining down his face before he could even think to wipe them away. Kyle turned his head slowly. It was still heavily wrapped. Nate was frozen in place, aching to rush to him, grab hold and never let go. But he couldn't move. Just stood there, heart hammering against his ribs.

Kyle seemed somewhat disorientated at first, as if trying to focus his eyes. His gaze came to rest on Nate, slightly glazed. "Nate..."

His beautiful voice, though thick and a bit rough, speaking his name was the last straw and broke Nate. The tears came in a flood and suddenly his feet couldn't get to the guy fast enough. He grabbed Kyle in his arms, hugging him as tight as he dare without hurting him. His face shoved against the guy's neck and he breathed in the scent of his skin, pressed his mouth to the vein in his neck as the beat of his new, strong heart pulsed against Nate's trembling lips.

Kyle's arms slid around his shoulders. He lacked strength but Nate didn't care – he was holding him again, that's all that mattered.

"So..." Kyle rasped, his voice scratchy, weak. "...did you miss me?"

Nate's arm's tightened a fraction more as his body shook with sobs, his tears wetting Kyle's neck and draining down across his collar bone. Nate drew back and his lips were on Kyle's mouth, drinking him in, feasting on his life force.

"Whoa." Kyle pulled back, his lip twitching, eyes heavy as he stared at Nate. "I know you missed me, but easy there, big boy. Don't want to give my hot nurse the wrong idea." He winked slowly at Nate. "I think she likes me."

A brittle chill cut through Nate's body and mind and blasted his heart. He leaned back and stood up, his breath uneven and cracking. He swallowed tightly as an all new fear began to claw at the chilled flesh of his heart.