Chapter 25: Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou?

Chapter 25: Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou?

" And he knew that at that moment, they understood each other perfectly, and when he told her what he was going to do now, she would not say 'be careful' or 'don't do it', but she would accept his decision because she would not have expected anything less of him."
-J.K. Rowling

Three days. Two more nights, not including this current one. When you have less than 72 hours to save a life, how do you go about it? There was no way the ninja's of Konoha would stand for this-- a public hanging. It would start a civil war amongst themselves. Naruto would never tolerate such a cruel punishment, nor Tsunade-- especially not on display for everyone to see.

Knock, knock
'Who could that be..?' Sakura thought, fresh out of the shower, wearing a black tank top and plaid baggy sleeping pants. The pinkette wrapped her hand around the door knob, prepared to swing it open; but suddenly felt uneasy. "Who is it??" She questioned, already looking through the peek hole. Of course.

"It's Hikoro, can I come in..?" Sakura sighed and pulled back the door, hand on her hip. "What?" She was clearly low on patience. "Well uh.. I just wanted to apologize about earlier.. I don't know what had gotten into me.." Sakura sighed, analyzing the boy outside her door with a puppy dog face. Was he truly sincere..? "It's fine.. Just don't push my button's like that ever again and--as for Sasuke-- stay away from him. Keep his name out of your mouth, and keep your mouth to yourself. Especially in the likes of him..."

"We've been rescheduled. One month from today.. Very private. Only our lands' Kage's, a priest, and us... You love him don't you..?" The question stung. Had it been so obvious..? Definitely.. Sasuke was the holder of the cherry blossom's heart... That's why she had been sulking the past few hour's.. Because if she ever had to watch his heart stop; her's would too. "I do... I love him with every fiber of my body.. Even if I marry you.. Even if I learn to love you over time-- my heart will always, always belong to him.." She paused a moment, "and even after death."

"Right.. Well.. Good night miss Haruno.." Said the soft spoken almond skinned lord. The pinkette nodded respectively, "good night." With that being said, she slammed the door shut. The heroine turned her back to the door, slid down it until now sitting against the entrance, encircled her pale arms around her battered knee's. She laid her head against her knee and sighed, "what do I do...?" She asked aloud to the empty walls of a lonely home.

Why him? Why when he decide's to willingly come home must he be punished for it..? Because the elder's are corrupt.

'Sometime's you gotta be your own hero..' She could hear echoing through her mind. All of a sudden, the kunoichi was hit with a brilliant idea. Although visitors weren't allowed.. Medical ninja's were. Immediately the mopping medic jumped up to change into her hospital wear. It had been so long since she had been into work anyways, or at least that was her reasoning when pulling on those scrubs.

X X X X X

"Sorry Sakura. Even though there has recently been an accident here at the base, because of the.. Circumstances.. Of your current situation, you cannot do your duties. At least not here." Said the man standing In front of none other than the gate just before Konoha's imprisionment campus. A large fortress said to be inescapable from, despite lack of guards. Security was on the low end because inmates all wore chakra refrainer's. Unless they were some taijutsu master, the prisoner's were practically harmless. Against the likes of an armed ninja that is.

"That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard!" She shouted, trying to reason. This particular was a friend actually. Shino Aburame. No, this wasn't his regular occupation. Time to time ROOT would ask him to come in for some odd hours every week though, when under serious circumstances ."C'mon.. You were there.. You saw what happened.. please Shino..?" Sakura really hadn't known much about Shino. He was serious. Creepy. Sort of a loner... But surely a good man at heart. "No, Sakura. You know the rules. But if I were to.. Walk off for a moment, and a ninja that just happened to spot my leaving transformed into me.. Well I wouldn't have any control of that." The pinkette grinned widely. "Right.. Well I gotta go then." She said, turning away.

Moments later the bug wielder walked off of camera's view, only to reappear soon, slowly making their way through the gate and up the cement path. Sakura's heart was racing, and for a moment, was thankful that the trench coat weirdo wore such dark shade's. Her pupils must have been dilated something fierce.

"Hey you!! Shino, where are you going??" Asked a fellow ninja outside, one The Kuniochi hadn't recognized. 'What would be a typical Shino answer?' "The lavatory... The bot fly larve are.. Uh..--" "ugh! That's disgusting, just go!!" Well that was easier than she thought it'd be.

The disguised Cherry blossom roamed the hall's, sincerely lost. There was inmate's left and right behind bars, all preoccupied. She recognized every face from the bingo books; and all their crimes had been very violent in nature.. This ranged, but was not limited to; cannibalism, cruel and unusual torture, dismemberment, whole family slaughters. It made the pinkette's skin crawl really, knowing any human could do such things.

Every hall, closed door, and Corner revealed no Sasuke Uchiha. 'They couldn't have possibly done away with him... Maybe he's being held behind locked door's within the fortress. He was incredibly dangerous after all, chakra or not. Nope, nor Sasuke --..or so she thought. Right when the medical ninja was ready to give up, she had caught glimpse of a duck butt. "Hey you." She said in her most convincing Shino tone.

On the ground of a lone dark cell was the avenger. He hadn't had his shirt on-- as the raven was working out, well, doing push up's. Obviously they weren't allowed any equipment of sorts. The usual apparel had been confiscated. Now in front of her stood the traitor of the leaf, arms resting on the bar's, sweat lightly coating his flawless ab's, highlighting ever battle scar. Although he could not now use sharingan, that didn't prevent dirty glares any. "What?" He asked with distaste.

Sakura then gripped the dark glasses and tipped them down on the bridge of her nose, revealing sparkling emeralds. 'Those eyes...' It was instant recognition. "What are you..?" He trailed off, sight still fixed on those green shining eyes. "What are we going to do..?" She whispered. The Uchiha had leaned forward even more so. "Shhh... Here's the plan.." He responded hushingly.

"A-are you crazy ?!" She said a little louder than meant. "It might not work.. But it's worth a shot. What's the worst they can do, kill me? I've remembered ever detail of this place in the last few hours.. Now go, this is going to look suspicious if you stay any longer." "Right... Bye then.. Seeya in a few days." She felt bitter after saying so. "Yeah.." He reassured, before turning away to stare at the makeshift barred window longingly. This wasn't the end. It couldn't be...

The rosette tucked her hands away and walked. This was only night one of three, and it had technically been day two, as it was two in the morning. Something in her former mood had changed though-- Sakura Haruno was convinced she could not sleep, nor eat until Sasuke's fate was to be set in stone. Now after seeing him though.. Knowing he was real.. Knowing her really did return those feelings she was.. Knowing the ROOT didn't really take him to the middle of nowhere for execution and covering it by claiming he ran away-- it gave her closure of sorts. Like he actually had.. A fighting chance. Maybe that's why she slept so soundly that first night... Well, that, and a visitor to her dreams.

But even as she rest, those words had sat in the back of her mind; two more days..